Disclaimer!

Disclaimer
Beverley has prepared the content of Bev's World irresponsibly and carelessly. She therefore disclaims all warranties, express or implied, as to the accuracy, originality or completeness of the drivel presented on this blog or on other linked websites or on any subsequent links. She vehemently denies that the information may be relied upon for any reason. Beverley shall not be liable for inflicting laughter, shame, disgust, torrents of tears and the eventual desiccation or crashing boredom on readers.

Find me on facebook. https://www.facebook.com/BeHappyOwls or search for Be Happy Owls

Friday 28 November 2014

It's all about the veg, no chocolate!

28th November 2014
You are what you eat – so don’t be fast, cheap, easy or fake!

Well the Weight Watcher challenge for this week was to cook with a seasonal vegetable you’ve not tried before, I’ve been having enough trouble eating my five a day let alone try something new!  I managed it yesterday though, mushrooms and tomatoes at breakfast, broccoli and salad at lunch and beansprouts for tea – only just got there though!  I’m going to make a conscious effort to eat healthy this weekend, I’ve got a little lazy in the kitchen, and it’s become a place I visit for convenience and bread!  That needs to stop, I want energy back in my meals, less carbs more fruit and vegetables and good lean protein.  Yep this weekend is all about the clean…

There was a thread started in my group yesterday about time, not having enough of it to cook up all these lovely meals that people seem to be concocting, and that’s a really good point.  Let’s be honest when you’ve left the house at 8am and get back at 6pm, cooking isn’t the first thing you want to be doing, that’s where planning has to come into play and quick ideas, slow cookers, fast recipes and convenient healthy food.  One of my favourite quick foods is microwave brown rice, I stir fry some diced vegetables (if I’m in a super rush, I have frozen veg including, peas, diced peppers, mushrooms, Mediterranean veg) and throw that in, I have fried rice in less than five minutes.
For quickness you can buy veggies chopped up already, if it’s the difference between cooking and not, then buy them!  I find cook in the bags great too, ooo and my George Foreman is awesome, with those maggi paper flavouring things you can have salmon or chicken cooked to perfection really quickly, with some microwave rice, tinned veg – sorted in ten minutes.

Wholemeal Spaghetti takes 11 minutes, whilst that’s cooking I usually have some vegetables stir frying, ooo wraps too, I like them put on the George too with a veggie filling, then they go crisp.  See I can eat healthy; I just needed to remind myself that I can!  If you’ve got any quick, easy meal ideas or recipes, inbox me so I can share.  Here’s a good one;

Speedy Spaghetti Carbonara
Serves 4, 15pp per serving (3pp on F&H day for parmesan cheese – oil from allowance) takes 15 minutes

400 g Wholewheat Spaghetti (35pp)
Cooking oil spray (1pp)
100 g Bacon Medallions, Raw (3pp) chopped into 2cm pieces
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
3 large eggs, lightly beaten (8pp)
120 g Parmesan Cheese, (13pp)
Salt & pepper to taste

Cook spaghetti according to instructions on packet.  Meanwhile, spray frying pan with oil and add bacon, fry for 2-3mins until lightly browned.  Add garlic and fry for another 30 seconds.  Set aside.

Drain spaghetti and add to bacon mixture in the pan, add eggs and half parmesan cheese, season and toss together.  The heat from the spaghetti will partly cook the egg, but leave it moist.

Serve and sprinkle with remaining parmesan.

Right I’m off, it’s Friday – YAY, chilling later as I’m at a conference all day Sunday and I need to recharge and spend time with mom.

Have a healthy and happy day folks and watch this video, it’s so true!




No comments: