Disclaimer!

Disclaimer
Beverley has prepared the content of Bev's World irresponsibly and carelessly. She therefore disclaims all warranties, express or implied, as to the accuracy, originality or completeness of the drivel presented on this blog or on other linked websites or on any subsequent links. She vehemently denies that the information may be relied upon for any reason. Beverley shall not be liable for inflicting laughter, shame, disgust, torrents of tears and the eventual desiccation or crashing boredom on readers.

Find me on facebook. https://www.facebook.com/BeHappyOwls or search for Be Happy Owls

Monday 5 October 2015

Can a book change your life?



5th October 2015
"Do you really want to be happy? You can begin by being appreciative of who you are and what you've got." Benjamin Hoff
Can a book change your life?  I certainly believe a book can have an effect on your life for sure and one that I was reminded of this morning was 'The Tao of Pooh' by Benjamin Hoff, It's possibly my favourite book of all time, I read it at a time where I was 'searching' trying to find myself, I was actually at a Buddhist meditation retreat for the weekend when I read the book.  My room had no television and there was no phone signal so I had to relax and spend the weekend in my own company, I read the book so quickly.  It's a beautifully easy, wonderful read filled with insight and wisdom that is presented in such a simple way. It is one of the only books I've read more than once, I also have it as an audio book that I'll listen too, and each time it manages to inspire and impress me.  It reminds me of how important it is in life to go with the flow, not fight against everything and just accept what is.  I don't mean be a pushover or never get anything done either, the principles in this book made me really think about the way I deal with my life and the events in it.  The book is based on Taoism, which is an ancient Chinese philosophy, this appeals to me more so than a religion as in religion, there always seems to be an element of worship and I don't buy into that, but let's not go down that road. 

So why am I talking about the book, well this poem came up on my Pinterest this morning and although it's from a completely different book, it made me think of it and I will be getting the book out later to read again.  Enjoy the poem;

Make the Ordinary Come Alive
Do not ask your children to strive for extraordinary lives. Such striving may seem admirable, but it is a way of foolishness. Help them instead to find the wonder and the marvel of an ordinary life. Show them the joy of tasting tomatoes, apples, and pears. Show them how to cry when pets and people die. Show them the infinite pleasure in the touch of a hand. And make the ordinary come alive for them. The extraordinary will take care of itself.

By William Martin, (The Parent’s Tao Te Ching: Ancient Advice for Modern Parentshttp://ir-na.amazon-adsystem.com/e/ir?t=inthemean-20&l=as2&o=1&a=1569246629.)

If you fancy a good read, go order yourself a copy because the life wisdom within this book is applicable to anyone!

It always amazes me how things that are connected or are giving me the same message come at the same time.  So that poem related very much to a conversation I had with my brother yesterday, he taught me how to use a saw correctly, he also said yes it does take longer than an electric saw but the satisfaction from it is stronger because you're doing all the work.  He also added, "if folk want something quick, they should just go buy it, what's the rush, the satisfaction is in the making of it".  How true is that, after watching Jamie Oliver's programme this week, I also realised by doing the manual work myself like the 80 year old who still ploughed his own plot with a scythe, I was being active and working my body - win/win I'd say.  Not only do I get to be creative, I also get a mini workout.

My mini workout in the garden yesterday involved using my new wrecking bar to break up a couple of pallets, using a saw to cut a few pieces of wood (need a new saw), doing a bit of painting and potting up a couple of plants.  The one thing I notice is not just the way it exercises my body but the effect it has on my mind. 

Like the poem, I have learned to make the ordinary come alive for me, after years of 'searching', I realised I had everything I want and need right here and it's BeYOUtiful.

Here's to enjoying your week BeYOUtiful. xx

No comments: