4th June 2014
We can’t help everyone, but we can help someone. Ronald Reagan
Smile – you’ve just been tagged!
There’s a business sized card on my desk that says that and then it goes on to say “someone reached out to your with an anonymous act of kindness. Now it’s your chance to do the same. Do something nice for someone, leave this card behind, and keep the spirit going!” Visit www.helpothers.org for more ideas, info and inspiration.
I love this idea, simple acts of kindness when there’s nothing in it for you, or even just sharing a smile with a stranger and cheering up their day, it can make all the difference to someone who’s not having a great day, week or even life…
So that’s your challenge today, you may enjoy doing it so much you make it a regular thing; it really is nice to be nice! One of my members last night bought me a couple of slices of low ProPoint chocolate cheesecake she’d made, that was a lovely thing to do and it cheered me up, last week another member gave me a solar powered owl desk ornament that has made me smile every morning since as it sits in my office. It wasn’t my birthday, I wasn’t expecting it but I was absolutely chuffed to bits to receive it, nothing better than something nice you’re not expecting.
Don’t forget it doesn’t have to cost money, it could be sparing some time to stop and chat to someone who really could do with a bit of company, can’t think of anything to do, there are lots of suggestions here http://www.kindspring.org/ideas/, there’s even kindness acts to yourself you can do such as cook a nutritious meal for yourself, that’d be nice, putting yourself first for a change wouldn’t it. Why not bake healthy cakes and take them to work to share out, ooo I’ve just remembered next week in my meeting we’re doing bake a difference, if you fancy bringing some ProPointed cakes to the meeting we will ask for donations from other members to raise some money for diabetes UK charity, that’s more than one act of kindness, that’s a double whammy!
Yeah let’s have a happy generous smiley day, the weather may be a little grey but we can be sunshine yellow, and spread some cheer.
I might bake and if I haven’t got time I’ll think of something else, but if I’ve got flour in my kitchen this morning, fresh rock cakes might be on the menu as one of my helpers has asked me to make them a few times now and what better way to start a Wednesday morning meeting than with cake!
Ooo love food, love my meetings, love being a Weight Watcher who can eat cake!
Still thinking of something nice to do that would make someones day or cheer them up in some way, here’s a few suggestions;
- leave a copy of a really great book you’ve read in a cafe for someone else to enjoy
- be nice to someone who’s being mean/rude to you
- forgive a the road rage driver who cuts you up
- buy a homeless person a sandwich
- make a donation
- put a money in a meter that’s about to expire
- compliment a stranger
- let someone cut in front of you at the supermarket
- encourage someone to pursue their dream
- hold the door open for someone
- teach a child something you wish you knew at that age
- smile at someone who’s sad
- smile at strangers
- spend some time with a senior citizen living alone
- give up your seat on a crowded bus or train
- mow someone else’s lawn (but not on Sunday ;) gardens should be quiet on Sunday!)
- give someone the benefit of the doubt
- give blood
- replace an angry or bitter thought toward someone with a loving thought (or at least try)
- Give yourself a break!
Right I’m off to try and get my tasks done so I can make those rock cakes – if I have flour ;-)
Have a great day and of course today BeYOUtiful and smile. xx