Disclaimer!

Disclaimer
Beverley has prepared the content of Bev's World irresponsibly and carelessly. She therefore disclaims all warranties, express or implied, as to the accuracy, originality or completeness of the drivel presented on this blog or on other linked websites or on any subsequent links. She vehemently denies that the information may be relied upon for any reason. Beverley shall not be liable for inflicting laughter, shame, disgust, torrents of tears and the eventual desiccation or crashing boredom on readers.

Find me on facebook. https://www.facebook.com/BeHappyOwls or search for Be Happy Owls

Friday 25 October 2019

50 shades of dark circles under my eyes

Friday 25th October 2019
Sometimes the things we can't change, end up changing us.



"When are we going home then?" That was the question I was greeted with at 4am, at 3am I was woken to be told she'd found a fiver in her bedroom drawer but she couldn't find her purse, I knew it was going to be a bad night before I even left her room last night around 10ish and I wasn't disappointed.  Thankfully I don't have to go to work today, I just wished there was something that could be done to help, but there doesn't seem to be, even the sleeping tablet doesn't seem to do anything at all, then when she does sleep she's going to another world that she thinks is a reality and brings back to this one with her.  Today's going to be a long one that's for sure.

At least I'll get to finish the blanket I'm working on, maybe I'll cook something up in the kitchen, make use of some of those hours but also I'll try to rest as well so that I have the energy to make it through the day with patience and love for mom.

Let's talk weight loss, after all that's what I'm in the business of!  Another great day yesterday, iI never tire of seeing something someone absolutely buzzing over their first weight loss after joining WW and I wasn't disappointed yesterday either, especially on the night she was almost bouncing at the scales, then I could hear her calling others to tell them how well she'd done, she was so pleased.  It really is a wonderful sound, but even better if it's possible is watching someone continue to succeed week in, week out and knowing that they're not just losing weight, they're embracing the changes they are putting in place and enjoying the journey, one member yesterday is cooking so much more and loving the meals they're eating.  Then there's when a member teaches or shares knowledge with others, we're all learning of the things you can cook in your slow cooker from one of my lovely ladies, she did rice pudding this week, see you can do more than throw a stew in the pot.

Yeah it's a beautiful thing when a career and a passion come together, almost 15 years and I'm still enjoying it.  It helps that I have wonderful helpers surrounding me too, I couldn't do any of it without them, even if they have to work late they still do their best to get to me as soon as possible, it truly is appreciated.

It's that time of year where some of us start to struggle, this can be the change in the seasons, the drop in temperature, the fact the holidays are over and Christmas is on the way, there's a number of reasons.  I find changing what we eat at this time of year takes some adjustment, going from salads to stews, stir fries to curries and the like, it gets easier though as the weeks go on.  Take it one meal at a time.

I'm obviously trying to eat what I have in the freezer, so I found a packet of Penn Road butchers Chicken breast sausages in the freezer yesterday, we had those with the butternut squash that's been chopped and sitting in the fridge for days, a tin of peas and gravy, simple food that didn't take long to cook, I just through it in the oven for 25 minutes and warmed the peas in the microwave.

We talked fruit and veggies last week in workshop and it's pumpkin lantern time of year so why not cook the middle, here's a recipe I found on the Aldi website I think.  It's 24SP in total, the only pointed think is the dried fruit.  It serves 6 though and it's gluten free, dairy free and vegan.

Slow Cooker Pumpkin, Spinach and Dried Fruit Curry, serves 6, 4SP per portion.

1 Onion - sliced
500g Peeled Pumpkin - cut into wedges
1 tin Chickpeas
3 Garlic Cloves - crushed
3 Chillis - deseeded and sliced
1/2 tsp Ground Turmeric
1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp Ground Ginger
2 tsp Ground Cumin
2 tins Chopped Tomatoes
150ml Vegetable Stock
150g Dried Mixed Fruit (24SP)
2 handfuls of spinach
Salt - to taste

Method
Lightly colour the onion in a little oil over a medium heat.
Add the garlic and chilli and cook for 2 minutes.
Turn the heat to low and add the spices and cook for a further 2 minutes.
Add the rest of the ingredients apart from the spinach and cook on low for at least an hour.
Once ready to serve, check the seasoning and stir in the spinach just before serving.

Serve with your choice of side.

I think I'm going to try cooking a lentil curry in my slow cooker today, cheats style, I'll either use the curry paste (9SP per 100g) that's in the fridge, it's been there a long time but looks ok, or a jar of Pataks saag masala (11SP a jar), frozen onions and lentils, throw it all in and see what happens. 

I've not made a bad start at cutting my spending on food down at all and I intend to continue it throughout November, still got a week left of this month of course which I'll continue to empty the fridge.  Hopefully I can give you some meal ideas through November as you all try to save some pennies ready for Christmas. 

I better go, I can hear her on the move downstairs again!  Wish me luck 😉

Mwah, luv ya 


Love me x  


No comments: