Disclaimer!

Disclaimer
Beverley has prepared the content of Bev's World irresponsibly and carelessly. She therefore disclaims all warranties, express or implied, as to the accuracy, originality or completeness of the drivel presented on this blog or on other linked websites or on any subsequent links. She vehemently denies that the information may be relied upon for any reason. Beverley shall not be liable for inflicting laughter, shame, disgust, torrents of tears and the eventual desiccation or crashing boredom on readers.

Find me on facebook. https://www.facebook.com/BeHappyOwls or search for Be Happy Owls

Thursday 23 September 2010

23rd September 2010 - today's facebook email

A man's errors are his portals of discovery. --James Joyce

Yesterday there were a few tears in my meeting from members, actually I shed a few myself on the way to my meeting, mine were because I’m frustrated because I’m in pain, so I’ve decided to take action and do what I can to help that. My members were for different reasons, but one was a returning member I hadn’t seen for a few months, when she say what the scales said, it must have hit home and she started crying, unfortunately she didn’t stay which is a huge shame as the last time a new member cried in my meeting at the number on the scales she became one of my gold stars, losing loads of weight to get to goal and now she drops in once a month to keep her weight in check, not only did she change her weight but she changed her life and she did it with the support of all the members in my meeting. Everything is so much easier with support, why do you think they invented bras!

So if you ever feel down about your weight, talk about it, and at the same time remember its just a number and it can be changed, the beauty of it is we each have the power to make the change, and the easiest what to do it is one step at a time.

I thought as we’ve done fibre and sugar this week, today we’d look at salt. Did you know we’re only supposed to have 6g salt per day tops! In a quarter of a pizza from pizza hut there’s 9g salt! Salt should be used as a flavour enhancer, so you should be seasoning to taste not pouring it on!

Apparently about 1 in 4 of us is what is called salt sensitive so chronic use of salt over time causes muscles in the small arteries of our body to constrict, and long term it will raise the blood pressure, so if you are salt sensitive and there’s no way of knowing that, even small excesses of salt in your diet will raise your blood pressure, the trouble with that is high blood pressure especially when its combined with high cholesterol narrows the arteries to a point where a clot can form which could lead to a heart attack.

Just by being a bit more aware we can make massive differences!

Use sea salt, and by using pepper and herbs you can use less. Did you realise in processed food salt gets lost and it’s balanced out with sugar believe it or not!

75% of our salt consumption comes from pre-prepared food, so get in touch with your labels more and you can get those levels down. For example for my tea last night I had a Morrisons Value Minced Beef Hotpot which had 1.8g salt in, a third of my intake almost and yet it didn’t taste like there was any in there at all, so guess what – I added more! On a positive note, it was only 3 points.

Remember life starts now.

Are you living yet?

No comments: