7th June 2018
If only our eyes saw souls instead of bodies, how very different our ideals of beauty would be.
In a rush this morning so this is a short one, it’s been a week since I started my honest tracking and I will jump on the scales this morning to see the result. I have a feeling I may not have got myself a weight loss partly because I’m over my points but mostly because of where I am on my cycle and I don’t mean bicycle! Who know, even my cycle seems all over the place these days, I’m a bit like a washing machine depends which one the arrows pointing at!
How did yesterday go, well for my day off it was mostly spent working, thankfully I had bought some ready meals 3 for £7 in Waitrose, they’re not low calories ones but I had the lentil and mushroom spaghetti yesterday for 13SP and it was delicious. I reckon I could make a version of that myself and it would be less of course because the lentils, mushrooms, onion, tomatoes, spinach, carrot, celery would all be zero. I’ve just had a quick search for a recipe and found a couple with minimal ingredients. This is a cheap recipe and can be frozen or the leftovers eaten later..
This is even better if you can make the sauce the night before and leave it in a pan for all the flavours to be absorbed.
Serves 4-6 Feeding 6 it’s 9SP a portion.
Don't have any lentils? Use vegan mince or beans instead. All these ingredients would be zero.
- 1 large mug green lentils
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 2 chopped garlic cloves
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 chopped carrot
- 1 large stick of celery
- 2 handfuls of chopped mushrooms (optional)
- 2 tbsp oil (9SP)
- 1 tsp mixed Italian herbs
- Salt and pepper
- 1 pint stock
- 1 pack spaghetti 500g (47SP)
- Soften the garlic, onions, carrot and celery in a pan with the oil.
- Add the lentils and mushrooms (if using) and cook for 10 mins.
- Add the tomatoes and the stock.
- Cook for at least an hour on a low heat – the longer and slower you cook this the better it will be.
- Check the sauce, you want it to be nice and thick.
- Cook the spaghetti according to the instructions and drain well.
- Return to the pan and add the sauce, mixing well. Serve.
This ones not much different but has wine in! You’d cook your spaghetti or tagliatelle. separate, a 60g dried portion is 6SP that’s an average portion.
Rich Mushroom and Lentil Ragu Recipe
A rich mushroom and lentil ragu served with tagliatelle the Italian way. An easy your family and friends will love. Suitable for vegetarians and vegans. The entire recipe works out at 6SP, plus points for your pasta.
- 1 tbsp olive oil 4SP
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 300g large flat mushrooms, finely chopped
- 400g tin brown lentils, drained and rinsed
- a generous glug of red wine 2SP
- 1 ½ tsp dried thyme
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 3 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- a good grinding of salt and pepper
1. In a large pan, saute the onion and garlic in the olive oil until soft. 2. Add the mushrooms and cook those until they are soft too, then add the lentils, chopped tomatoes, thyme, wine and tomato puree. Crumble in the stock cube and stir well. 3. Leave it to cook gently for 25-30 minutes until the sauce is rich and thick.4. Season with salt and pepper and serve with freshly cooked tagliatelle. 5. Enjoy!
This is your challenge today to try or plan to try something new, a new ready meal or recipe, let’s stop eating the same old, same old. This is the recipe I plan to try, won’t have time today but I will get to it. I also want to make a beef curry, I’m never successful when I try to make a beef one so if anyone has any tips, let me know.
Slow cooker lentil sloppy Joes
16SP the lot!
- 1 cup dried brown or green lentils
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 28-oz can crushed tomatoes or diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup tomato paste (7SP)
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped fine
- 3 Tablespoons maple syrup (9SP)
- 1 Tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika (smoked paprika is delicious in this)
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- dash of black pepper
Combine all ingredients in the slow cooker. Cook on low for 7-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.
Right, I’ve finished my mug of tea and I’m hungry now having wrote all that, wish I had time to throw that lot in the slow cooker this morning, sis if you’re reading this, I’m sure I have the ingredients in my corner cupboard if you fancy doing it whilst your at mine this morning ;) I’ll even share the outcome with you mwah.
Anyway, here’s to another day of honest tracking, my meetings are absolutely buzzing right now, loads of new members and it’s motivating me to stay on track too. I blinking love my Weight Watchers members I do, have a cracking good day people.
Got an idea for one of this months challenges? Let me know!