Disclaimer!

Disclaimer
Beverley has prepared the content of Bev's World irresponsibly and carelessly. She therefore disclaims all warranties, express or implied, as to the accuracy, originality or completeness of the drivel presented on this blog or on other linked websites or on any subsequent links. She vehemently denies that the information may be relied upon for any reason. Beverley shall not be liable for inflicting laughter, shame, disgust, torrents of tears and the eventual desiccation or crashing boredom on readers.

Find me on facebook. https://www.facebook.com/BeHappyOwls or search for Be Happy Owls

Monday 2 July 2018

I love a one pot meal

2nd July 2018
Happiness is letting go of what you think your life is supposed to look like and celebrating it for everything that it is.


Lovely out here this morning, a nice breeze and a sunny sky, it’s going to be yet another hot day, I can’t remember the last time it rained ain’t it glorious.

I made the 40 cloves of garlic chicken (recipe at end of blog) yesterday it was lush, I ended up putting it in the slow cooker as my cooker wouldn’t come on the electrics weren’t working on it, however three hours later when I tried again, it did. I transferred it back to the oven and added 55g of orzo I found in cupboard and I have to say it was a delicious bowl of chicken, so good. Chicken thighs for me win hands down if you have the points although if using a slow cooker breasts down dry out so they’re not bad.  Shame you can’t get whole wheat orzo as that would be No Count, it exists but I can’t find a local supplier, so if any one comes across it – let me know.

Oh I’ve found it but it’s online and you pay shipping, unless I spend over £30 https://uk.iherb.com/pr/delallo-orzo-no-65-100-organic-whole-wheat-pasta-16-oz-454-g/32549  maybe I’ll have a look see what else they sell.

I do love a one pot meal, saves on the washing up and my pan above means it can be cooked on hob or in oven, I bought it in the sale in Waitrose, my half price bargain.  Should’ve been £45 paid £22, and when you look on Amazon, even £45 is cheap in comparison to some of them! https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/products/waitrose-cooking-shallow-cast-iron-casserole-dish-cream/642894-558409-558410

Anyway, I have trout for lunch today, not sure what I’m doing with it but I do love a bit of trout, will keep it simple.  I’ve got to get me some breakfast first.  Can you tell I’m hungry by the tone of my blog.  I need to feed, I’m in the mood for food, I think I might be getting my cooking mojo back, I’d lost it for a little time there but now I want to experiment in the kitchen.   I’m thinking a chicken and brown rice one pot, now brown rice usually takes forever to cook but maybe in the oven on low and slow it might work, mmm.  Throw in all the flavours I enjoy, garlic and olives would be going in there, maybe a little chorizo. 

I need to stop now as I’ve got work to do, a busy week ending with mom’s 80th on Friday, hoping she’s good on the day and the weather doesn’t break. 

Here’s to staying as in control of my appetite as I can, making sure I drink the water, eat the protein, have a good breakfast, all those things I blogged about yesterday to try to keep my cravings at bay.

Happy Monday, let’s make it a very great day BeYOUtiful.



Chicken with 40 cloves of garlic

Serves 4

13sp per serving using thighs,
3sp per serving using breasts,
9sp per serving using legs

2 tbsp regular olive oil (9sp)
Either
Use 8 chicken thighs (skin on, bone in) (42sp) or
use 8 skinless breasts for zero or
use 4 skinless legs for 27sp or

1 bunch (about 6) spring onions
small bunch fresh thyme
40 garlic cloves (approx 3-4 bulbs), unpeeled
2 tbsp dry white wine (1sp)
1½ tsp sea salt flakes or ¾ tsp pouring salt
Ground black pepper

Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4. Heat the oil on the hob over a high heat in a wide, shallow, ovenproof and flameproof casserole (that will ultimately fit all the chicken in one layer, and that has a lid). Sear the chicken, skin-side down. This may take two batches, so transfer the browned pieces to a bowl as you go. Once the chicken pieces are seared, transfer them all to the bowl.

Finely slice the spring onions, put them into the casserole and quickly stir-fry them with the leaves torn from a few sprigs of thyme. Put 20 of the unpeeled cloves of garlic (papery excess removed) into the casserole, top with the chicken pieces, skin-side up, then cover with the remaining 20 cloves of garlic.

Add the vermouth (or white wine) to any oily chicken juices left in the bowl. Swill it around and pour this into the casserole. Sprinkle with the salt, grind over the pepper, and add a few more sprigs of thyme. Put on the lid and cook in the oven for 1½ hours.

No comments: