Disclaimer!

Disclaimer
Beverley has prepared the content of Bev's World irresponsibly and carelessly. She therefore disclaims all warranties, express or implied, as to the accuracy, originality or completeness of the drivel presented on this blog or on other linked websites or on any subsequent links. She vehemently denies that the information may be relied upon for any reason. Beverley shall not be liable for inflicting laughter, shame, disgust, torrents of tears and the eventual desiccation or crashing boredom on readers.

Find me on facebook. https://www.facebook.com/BeHappyOwls or search for Be Happy Owls

Thursday 29 January 2015

How's your week going?



29th January 2015
Being in a hurry to improve yourself only slows down the process.

Well normally I'd be talking about the wonderful meals I ate or want to eat but the last few days I've been having stomach problems and it's taking the pleasure out of food, so I ate quite plain food yesterday to see if it helps and if it doesn't improve I'll make an appointment to go get it checked out at the doctors.  No tea or wine passed my lips yesterday, ma'an if I have to give up all the good stuff like that to be out of pain, I'll still not be skinny because I'll replace it with other stuff ;-), I've bought me some soya yogurt and almond milk, some of those yakult drinks. Food wise yesterday I had steamed cod, mash and carrots then for tea a bowl of mushroom soup, they were actually still delicious but they didn't ease the symptoms much.  Hey ho, I'm sure it'll calm down, I'm hoping it's just all the overindulgence of my birthday week and maybe the effect the iron tablets have had on my stomach that's caused it all.

Obviously because I've not been feeling great in the stomach department I've been doing a bit of research about what's good to eat and what isn't and I've just stumbled across a website with a recipe for Quinoa, now I've never cooked it but I have eaten it and it's quite nice, so maybe I will invest in some.  Apparently quinoa is a complete protein as it contains all the essential amino acids, especially lysine.  Quinoa is also high in potassium, iron, calcium, and copper.  Because quinoa is so easily digested it is ideal for optimal absorption of all these nutrients.  It’s a tremendous way to start your day.  So there - I'm educating you this morning too!  Now I've only ever had it as a savoury dish but on this website she's made a breakfast dish almost like porridge, I can't work out the ProPoints by 'cup' measurements but if and when I make it I could, the only high ProPointed things would be the walnuts, seeds and raisins but it's a good healthy breakfast and we could all do with one of those regardless of how our stomach is at this moment in time!

Cinnamon Quinoa Breakfast
(recipe from http://www.alkalinesisters.com/cinnamon-quinoa-breakfast-how-i-start-my-alkaline-day/1215/)

Yield: approx 4 cups
1 cup quinoa, rinsed
3 cups unsweetened almond milk
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp allspice
1/2 cup raisins
1 med apple chopped small (save some for garnish)
stevia or agave to taste
1/2 cup raw walnuts, chopped
4 tbsp raw sunflower seeds
1 cup fresh organic blueberries
optional – fresh raspberries, fresh strawberries, chopped pecans or almonds, hemp seeds

Method
Combine quinoa, almond milk, cinnamon, allspice, raisins in medium sauce pan.  Bring to a boil and then place lid on pan and reduce to low heat.  After 5 mins stir in chopped apple and simmer for approx 5-7 mins longer.  Stir and check for remaining liquid and if most is absorbed then remove from heat, leaving lid on pan and let rest for 5 mins to absorb rest of the milk.  If when you peek, there is still lots of liquid, simmer for 3-5 mins longer but keeping a close eye over the pot as this mixture can easily burn if left to boil dry, then let it rest for 5 mins.  Taste for sweetness and adjust to your liking with 3-5 stevia drops or a dribble of agave syrup.  You may not need any additional sweetener as the raisins and apple do add a nice sweetness that may be just perfect for you.  Be cautious as even these natural sugars will spike your blood sugar levels and you want to minimize this.

Top each serving with walnuts, sunflower seeds, blueberries and remaining chopped apple.  If I have raspberries or strawberries on hand I like to toss them on top instead or as well!

The website also says "Alkalizing your body upon rising is an essential part of staying healthy. While sleeping our body rests but also gathers toxins ready for disposal upon waking."  Mmm interesting stuff. 

Reading further on it turns out spelt porridge is as good, spelt porridge is the thick oatmeal like flakes take way longer to cook and are not creamy like these thin, partially powdered flakes.  I can eat that,

Spelt Porridge
Yield: 1 serving
1 cup filtered water
1/3 cup thin flaked spelt ( the thick oatmeal like flakes take way longer to cook and are not creamy like these thin, partially powdered flakes so keep looking til you find them- you won’t regret it)
cinnamon to taste
powdered stevia  or agave syrup to taste
1/4 tsp alcohol free vanilla
2-3  tbsp dried cherries or cranberries
Toppings
raw nuts, seeds, hemp nuts, fresh raspberries, blueberries, blackberries or strawberries
1/2c unsweetened almond, hazelnut,  hemp or rice milk

Method
Combine the first 6 ingredients and simmer for 3-4 mins over medium heat and then pour into a nice broad shallow bowl. This allows you to sprinkle lots of goodies on the surface and gives it an opportunity to cool easier than in a smaller, deeper bowl.  Pour a non dairy milk on top (my fave is almond or even hazelnut if you can find it and this will further cool it and make it even tastier!  Then dig in!

I promise I'm not turning into a juice drinking, veggie eating hippy, I just want to feel better and if that means eating differently, I will rather than take medication because I've seen what that's done to mom over time and I'd rather not go down that route if I can help it.

Right I'm off, it's Thursday busiest day of the week but not my last as I've not got that meeting on Saturday too! Busy, busy, busy.  Have a well day BeYOUtiful, I intend too.

No comments: