Disclaimer!

Disclaimer
Beverley has prepared the content of Bev's World irresponsibly and carelessly. She therefore disclaims all warranties, express or implied, as to the accuracy, originality or completeness of the drivel presented on this blog or on other linked websites or on any subsequent links. She vehemently denies that the information may be relied upon for any reason. Beverley shall not be liable for inflicting laughter, shame, disgust, torrents of tears and the eventual desiccation or crashing boredom on readers.

Find me on facebook. https://www.facebook.com/BeHappyOwls or search for Be Happy Owls

Friday 7 February 2020

Poorly but positive

Friday 7th February 2020
Nothing will work unless you do.


I've just sat messing about on the internet for I don't even know how long, I woke up to what sounded like Alfie trying to dig a hole, his claws scratching away, I'm lying there in slumber thinking what is he doing, is he scratching my office floor or what, well bless him when I decided enough was enough and I got out of bed and turned the light on to check, he's fast asleep lying on his side in my doorway, his legs going ten to the dozen and scratching my door!  That was about 5ish, I couldn't go back to sleep, I'd struggled to sleep in the first place, full of cold I am and think I may end up at the docs because the white stuff is showing on my tonsils, if it gets any worse I'll go ask.  I've got a busy day, no time for poorly, got the vets this morning and I'm hopeful that the vet will be chuffed with Alfie, he's so much better. 

Later I've got an area meeting, a chance to catch up with my colleagues and my boss, who I had a chat on the phone with yesterday.  I'd been trying to think of a solution to a work problem and I'd been playing it over and over in my head, for weeks if not months and the matter was resolved in a short phone call.  A great reminder no to put things off, if you have something that's taking too much of your head space up, confront it, discuss it, do something about it.  I can't believe the effect it had on my mood, really cheered me up.

Have you tried or planned a new recipe yet?  Obviously I don't have a lot of time to spend in the kitchen on a Thursday but yesterday I thought to myself, I cannot have a takeaway, A) I'm trying to  improve my diet and B) I have a fridge full of food that needs using.  I saw those soft leeks as a challenge, we're (well I can be) obsessed with only using veg if it's super fresh, well turns out they're okay even if they've started to go a bit bendy.

Easy meal and it was delicious, stir fry sliced leeks and mushrooms, then tip in a can of condensed soup, I used Batchelors cream of mushroom (11SP a can), it makes a delicious sauce and would serve 3-4 people, either on chicken breasts or pork loin which is what I had it on, they were 5SP each, Alfie enjoyed his too!  It took minutes, I served it with some microwave rice for 5SP,

Mmm not going to feel like doing much more than I have to today, so not really feeling the 'challenge' vibe, but I do have something I need to do to help me feel better so that can be the challenge, WATER, when you're poorly, they tell you to keep your fluids up and that's what I've been doing.  Paracetamol and water have been my saviour the last few days, I'm really not a fan of cough or throat sweets at all, I don't think they do anything that water doesn't without the cost and calories. 

Yep, let's make sure we all drink plenty of water today, it's always more difficult to do when it's cold but it's important.  The recommendation is 6 to 8 glasses of fluid a day, water's a healthy and cheap choice, no calories, no sugar to damage your teeth - perfect. If you are one of those who struggles to drink water, you can add a little squash (no added sugar obviously) or enjoy a cup of tea or coffee, which I'm going to do as well to be fair, can't beat a mug of tea when you're poorly. 

And if you need the WHY's, well adult humans are 60% water, it's essential for the kidneys and other bodily functions.  Oh and when you're dehydrated, the skin can get all wrinkly - not a good look, water's cheaper than face cream.  Then there's the fact it lubricates your joins, yeah that back pain you get now and again can be improved with making sure you're hydrated.  It does lots of other stuff as well, but just go get a glass of water will you!

Hopefully you're still tracking what you're eating, I think this weekend we might have the challenge of planning some meals for the week ahead, that will definitely help me and stop me being tempted by the McDonalds Grand Big Mac, I still haven't tried one, I'm telling myself it' just a bigger Big Mac surely.  I've actually just searched my blogs to make sure I haven't had one and forgotten, and then I went to look at this day ten years ago, but I wasn't blogging on here then.  I did find 7 feb 2011 though and how spooky is this I've put that I was going to make a recipe with leeks!  I still have 2 more to use so I may make a smaller version of the recipe.

Leek and mustard bake 
feeds 4 total 29SP – 7SP each

700g baby leeks (wash & cut in half lengthways)
50g flora light (5SP)
50g plain flour (5SP)
600ml skimmed milk (8SP)
100g low fat soft cheese with garlic & herbs (6SP)
1 tbsp wholegrain Dijon mustard (1SP)
50g low fat cheddar cheese (4SP)
salt & pepper


Preheat oven to Gas Mark 5 / 190oC. Steam leeks for 5-10 minutes or until softened.

Meanwhile, melt margarine in a non-stick saucepan and stir in the flour to make a ball. Remove the pan from the heat, add the milk and whisk until the roux ball is completely broken up into the milk.

Return to a low heat and whisk until the sauce thickens. Add soft cheese and mustard, season to taste.

Place the steamed leeks in the base of an ovenproof dish. Pour over the sauce and sprinkle with the cheese, then bake for 15 minutes until bubbling and golden.


That would be lovely with roasted cauliflower rice.  

Okay I'm off, I need tea, the heating turned on and paracetamol, here's to making sure it's going to be a great day!

Mwah, luv ya 

Love me 

No comments: