Disclaimer!

Disclaimer
Beverley has prepared the content of Bev's World irresponsibly and carelessly. She therefore disclaims all warranties, express or implied, as to the accuracy, originality or completeness of the drivel presented on this blog or on other linked websites or on any subsequent links. She vehemently denies that the information may be relied upon for any reason. Beverley shall not be liable for inflicting laughter, shame, disgust, torrents of tears and the eventual desiccation or crashing boredom on readers.

Find me on facebook. https://www.facebook.com/BeHappyOwls or search for Be Happy Owls

Tuesday 28 April 2015

Another day, how lucky are we to get one!


28th April 2015

I've just been diagnosed with awesomeness, you might want to get checked, I'm sure you have it too!


Well I gained, I'll take the 1.5lb I have been taking the mickey out of the plan for two weeks, I've not only had my weeklies, I've been having everyone else's too and I'm not gonna lie, yesterday didn't end on track either!  It started well, I had melon for breakfast, a delicious carvery at lunchtime started to veer me off, although my plate was full of veggies, there was a yorkie involved and the weirdest piece of stuffing, which I had to have because it looked like no stuffing I'd ever had but it actually just tasted like a flat, square piece of paxo!  I did my shopping too, all healthy thankfully, apart from a few biscuits for mom, of which I pinched a jammie dodger apricot bake thing - needed to try!  When I got back I did walk the dog, although we didn't get far, after all the walking round shops by the end of the day, I had 8,000 steps on my pedometer. I then spent an hour making the following delicious dish, whilst partaking in a gin and tonic (nope I won't be buying gin again, it's too easy to drink, wine I savour, gin I drink like water with ice and a slice in!) and then I was hungry. I'd really been hungry since lunch, I could've eaten my carvery twice over, although I did manage to resist dessert in the pub even thought it was two of my favourite puddings together - toffee pudding with doughnut - what the hell are they trying to do to me!  Now the Saag once made needed to be left for a couple of hours for the flavour to come out, well it was tasting okay to me there and then and I kept getting a slice of Weight Watcher bread and playing dunk with it!  I had 4 slices with a thin scrape of low fat spread in the end, two hours later, I ended up with a tiny bowl just to try and a warburton thin!  That was my day, it actually wasn't as bad as I thought it was now I've put it in writing, today however will be completely F&H, I'm at work all day so that's doable, I have chicken saag as my main meal which is F&H apart from the oil which can be my daily allowance.  Yeah yesterday was a lovely day where I got to spend a few hours with my bestie, some time on my own and finish it off with my mom, I don't really care that I didn't stay on track, my choices weren't bad ones and I really enjoyed every minute.



So here's the recipe, if you like flavoursome Indian food, you'll love this, be patient, don't rush it and you'll be glad you took your time when it's done.  I found boning the legs of chicken a bit of a pain, but it was worth it because the flavour is so much better than breast meat, also cheaper, I paid £2.25 for 4 from Aldi, which gave me 600g of meat once trimmed and chopped, you'd pay twice that for breast.  I will try it with breast though just out of curiosity and if I'm in a hurry and fancy it, pre chopped onions would save time too.  I didn't use fresh ginger, I had frozen already and I'd forgot, I'd also forgotten my chillis so used 1 largish red one, I'm not a fan of too much heat, so that was plenty.  It was delicious, I will try and make it for a Thursday night when I want a take-away for sure.



Chicken Saag

You will need….

6 x chicken skinless thighs (85g = 4pp so 6 = 24pp)

            (I used 4 legs (135g skinless = 7pp) as they're F&H, skinned & boned them)

            whichever type of chicken you use, just ProPoint it. 

4 large onions diced

1 tin of chopped tomatoes

2 large bags of spinach

A good bunch of coriander

Fresh ginger – about a fistful

1 garlic bulb

3-4 small green chillies



Tbsp Olive Oil x2 (8pp)

Dessertspoon of Salt

Dessertspoon Cumin seeds

Dessertspoon garam masala x2

Tsp turmeric



The secret to this dish is the flavour; it takes time to make because you have to wait for the flavour to come out of each ingredient before you put in the next.



Before you start, dice the onions, chop the coriander, crush or chop garlic, peel and grate ginger throwing the stringy bits away, chop chillies…I always take most of the seeds out so you get the flavour without blowing your head off! Trim and cut thighs into chunks.


1.    Heat the oil and the cumin seeds in a pan for a couple of minutes until the seeds are starting to toast and you can smell them, careful not to burn 
2.    Add the onions and the salt and stir well to coat in the oil and seeds, cook these until soft. 
3.    Add grated ginger, chillies and garlic and stir well. Let this cook for about 5 minutes and add a handful of the chopped coriander and cook for another 5 minutes

4.    Add garam masala and turmeric and stir well for another 5 minutes, keep stirring as it will start to go a bit dry with the powder. Add another good handful of coriander and wait a few minutes again until the flavour comes out

5.     Add the tin of chopped tomatoes and stir well. This is now your sauce; let this cook for 5 minutes before adding the chicken and the rest of the coriander and coating it well in the mixture. Leave this to simmer for 20 minutes with the lid on.

6.    After 20 minutes, turn the heat back up to high and start adding spinach a handful at a time. It might look like lots but is dissolves into the curry very quickly.

7.    Leave this to cook for another 15 minutes then you’re done!



It’s best to leave the curry for a couple of hours and let it go cool as it gets richer the longer you leave it. Heat and serve when you’re ready.



Use WW Wraps (3pp) as chapattis, just pop in the frying pan (no oil) and keep turning until they’re slightly toasted and look like chapattis! Serve with brown rice.



I had a few messages yesterday, one felt like giving up, one realised that it's okay not to be perfect and will see me at the meeting and the other wants to know how to eat better but still keeping her 'food personality' as I like to call it, well you can't give up, none of you because this is your life and we don't get to give it up till we die!  We can choose not to care about ourselves but why would you want to do that BeYOUtiful, just because you're finding it difficult doesn't mean you can't do your best, even if it's not as good as you wished.  What's your food personality?  The lady I'm going to help likes a lot of sweet and little effort in the kitchen, she's a convenient queen.  I'd say I like a lot of volume and taste and I'm fickle so like variety.  What's yours?  Work out who you are, tweak it all to suit you and you'll find this weight loss lark a lot easier.



Here's to a great day, remind yourself you can't give up because you matter, Master pieces take time and yes you're working on a masterpiece - YOU!

 

No comments: