Disclaimer!

Disclaimer
Beverley has prepared the content of Bev's World irresponsibly and carelessly. She therefore disclaims all warranties, express or implied, as to the accuracy, originality or completeness of the drivel presented on this blog or on other linked websites or on any subsequent links. She vehemently denies that the information may be relied upon for any reason. Beverley shall not be liable for inflicting laughter, shame, disgust, torrents of tears and the eventual desiccation or crashing boredom on readers.

Find me on facebook. https://www.facebook.com/BeHappyOwls or search for Be Happy Owls

Sunday 17 April 2016

Try something new!



17th April 2016
Mistakes are the portals of discovery. James Joyce


Try something new!

That's been the theme in my meeting this week and I have to say I've thoroughly enjoyed where those conversations have gone and some of the foods we've discovered.  I love listening to a member explain a meal or food they cook that I haven't had, they do it with passion and knowledge and it's great to listen too.  For instance yesterday Charlene was explaining how she cooks yam, plantain and okra, we found out about dutchy pots, which were also mentioned in Thursday night's meeting, it's killing me not to order one from Amazon, but I really don't need any more pans in my kitchen - or do I!

We've looked at different kinds of grains too, quinoa, bulgar wheat, freekah to name but a few, anything new is the theme and challenge for the week.  I've got my yam, four quid, I nearly died - it better be good!  I also picked up some tandoori paneer in Sainsbury's yesterday, and a Sri Lankan Curry sauce which sounds scrumptious.  Yeah this week I'll be trying a few new things, starting with housework, I can't get create if a kitchen where I can't see the counter tops. 

I do hope my members embrace the challenge, it can be a new fruit, veg or meal, there's so many unusual things in the shops now, why not enjoy and try some of them.   I'm making West African peanut stew today, yesterday we had South African Bobottie, it was delicious, one of the Simply Cook kits, easily did 3 portions at 13sp, didn't look as good as the picture on the recipe card, but it tasted delicious and that's all that matters.  I do remember having made Bobottie years ago from a Weight Watcher recipe, Pronounced ba-boor-tea, the national dish of South Africa is a delicious mixture of curried mince, bread and fruit with a creamy golden topping, just shows putting random foods together works sometimes.

I had a lovely day chilling out with my bestie after work yesterday, we're so rock and roll these days, she bought her own pillows and we both were in our pj's by lunchtime!  We sat and chatted and watched rubbish tele, perfect.

Right that's me, got a bit of paperwork to do followed by a bit of housework, not sure what mom fancies doing, will find out when she wakes up.  Have a great day BeYOUtiful, make today smile Sunday.

Here's your recipe for today, not on I've ever cooked either;

Mixed bean enchiladas
SERVES 2 ~ Prep time 10 mins ~ Cook time 45 mins ~ SmartPoints 12 per serving

Calorie controlled
cooking spray
1 onion, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
420g tin mixed beans in water, drained and rinsed
400g  tin chopped tomatoes
4 Weight Watchers Wraps
100g Weight Watchers Grated Mature Cheese

Mist a large frying pan with cooking spray and fry the onion, garlic, chilli and spices over a medium heat, stirring, for 5 minutes.

Stir in the beans and tomatoes, simmer for 10 minutes, then season with some salt and freshly ground black pepper.

Preheat the oven to 180°C, fan 160°C, gas mark 4. Divide half the bean mixture between the wraps, roll up and arrange, seamside down, in a baking dish. Spoon the remaining beans over the wraps and scatter over the cheese.

Bake for 30 minutes until the cheese is melted and golden. Serve with a fresh green salad on the side.

TIP Not a fan of beans? Use 250g extra lean beef mince instead – just brown
it with the other ingredients in Step 1. The SmartPoints value will be 13 per serving.

No comments: