Disclaimer!

Disclaimer
Beverley has prepared the content of Bev's World irresponsibly and carelessly. She therefore disclaims all warranties, express or implied, as to the accuracy, originality or completeness of the drivel presented on this blog or on other linked websites or on any subsequent links. She vehemently denies that the information may be relied upon for any reason. Beverley shall not be liable for inflicting laughter, shame, disgust, torrents of tears and the eventual desiccation or crashing boredom on readers.

Find me on facebook. https://www.facebook.com/BeHappyOwls or search for Be Happy Owls

Friday 15 April 2016

How should you eat? Your choice!



15th April 2016
Opportunity dances with those already on the dance floor.

Well yesterday I accepted that some of my traits are unlikely to ever change!  One being tell me I can't have something and suddenly it's what I want more than anything :) yep, this junk free challenge - well normally I wouldn't even be thinking about the crap on that list, but now I want chippy chips and a bag of crisps and ..... well all of it!  Which just proves, as I've always said - deprivation doesn't work!  That's always been the beauty and the appeal for me of Weight Watchers, they let me eat whatever I want as long as it's within my points, I'm not made to have certain things on my plate or miss other stuff out.  

It was also pointed out to me that "pastries" were on the list and I'd had pastry on my lunch, I hadn't even thought about that kind of pastry as I don't consider it to be unhealthy, I don't actually believe any food is unhealthy because it's all about moderation, when you think of the ingredients of pastry, flour, butter and water, they're only the same ingredients as found in so many foods.  We all have different ideas of what 'JUNK' is, and I think the challenge to give up the junk for however long you choose is good for making you think about what you consider junk to be and how much of it you already have in your day to day routine.  For instance are you grabbing a bag of crisps because you're so busy and suddenly starving and to you it's a quick solution, ask yourself what could you have that's equally as quick but healthier?  So last night, after my 12+ hour day, it would've been so easy for me to stop off at the chippy, but instead I stopped at co-op grabbed noodles and a bag of stir fry veg  and went home, five minutes later I had turkey chow mein, I'd have stood longer waiting for the Chinese takeaway place to cook it for me and honestly it wouldn't have tasted as good.  When I stood in my meeting yesterday morning and thought mmm, I could just eat a bag of crisps, because I was watching someone else eat a packet, I realised I didn't really want a bag, it was only because I had seen someone else with a pack.

It's just as easy to nip in a shop and buy a pack of boiled ham and a roll as it is a bag of chips, fast food can be healthy or unhealthy depending on your food choices, Greggs isn't the devil of takeaway food, you can buy healthy in there, according to my WW Eat guide they do a balanced choice range.  Ultimately though it's all your choice, you can either spend 11sp on a Roast Chicken Mayo Sub Roll from Greggs or have a sausage roll for 13sp.   Because guess what - it's your body, it's your life - you get to choose how you live it!  I'm living mine exactly how I want to and I love it and I ain't judging anyone for their choices, no one's truly got it sussed, we're all just winging our way through life.

I'm listening to the news on radio a woman just said "It's cheaper to buy sweets than anything else, it's cheaper to by pop than water", I'm sorry that's just rubbish! It's all about the way you choose to look at a situation, my water comes free from my tap!  And even if it doesn't last summer when I bought all my members a bottle of water each for a meeting I did, I got them for about 10p a bottle.  And you can get an apple for the same price as a bar of chocolate.  If you want to eat junk food, don't make excuses like this for your reason, just eat it and take the consequences.  I know I drink too much (according to the experts), I accept it will probably shorten my life, I'm okay with that, it's a conscious decision I've made that the payoff is worth it - I'm under no illusion.  My dad did the same, he drank far too much, smoked, his diet wasn't the best, he wasn't active at all, he got himself diabetes, didn't change and died at 60!  My nan, not so much the drinker, diet dreadful (had to be 20+ stone and only a little lady), could barely walk so wasn't active and lived till 90!  She took up smoking in her 80s, I believe she said, "well it's hardly gonna kill me know!"

Even the experts can't explain it all, some of it's down to luck, some lifestyle, all you can do is what you feel is right for you.   My take on it is, I eat as healthy as I can, indulge when I feel the need, drink because I enjoy it, get active in natural ways like working, gardening and walking on days out and I've made my life as stress free as is healthy for me, I've found a job I enjoy doing.  I'm happy in my skin, I love my body whatever its shape and weight, I'm not concerned with what others think of my appearance, I don't really care what they think of me at all.  Yes I like to be liked but what other people think of me, really is none of my business.  I love me and I hope others do too, because if they don't, they really are losing out a little - cos I'm awesome :) ask my mom and that my lovelies is what I think is helping me live my best life. 

What do you need to do to live your best life because let's be honest BeYOUtiful, ultimately, don't we all want to live our very own healthy and happy best life.  What do you need to do to realise you're awesome too!

One of my members told me she'd made this recipe yesterday and her family were all, "we're not eating that", until it came out of the oven, they couldn't wait to dive in, and she's already had to cook it on four occasions because it's so popular.  She even takes the leftovers to work and warms it up in the microwave for lunch.

It was this gumph that made her make it in the first place because she was feeling a bit run down

"Cauliflower cheese is a classic dish, but did you know it could be giving you a health boost, too? It’s
a great source of folate and vitamin C, which help boost your immune system, and also phytonutrients,
chemical compounds that could help to lessen the risk of certain types of cancer."

Tomato & Cauliflower Cheese
SERVES 4 ~ Prep time 10 mins ~ Cook time 45 mins ~ SmartPoints 7 per serving 

1.2kg cauliflower head, green leaves removed
2 bay leaves
175g cherry tomatoes
50g low-fat spread
50g plain flour
700ml skimmed milk
150g Weight Watchers Reduced Fat Mature Cheese, sliced
1 tbsp fresh sage leaves, chopped

Preheat the oven to 180°C, fan 160°C, gas mark 4. Steam the cauliflower with
the bay leaves in a colander over boiling water for 15 mins. Break into florets and
place in an ovenproof dish with the tomatoes.
Meanwhile, melt the spread in a pan, then stir in the flour.  Cook, stirring, for 2 mins,
then whisk in the milk. Cook, whisking, until thickened.  Stir in the cheese and sage,
and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.

Pour over the cauliflower. Bake for 30 mins, then divide between 4 plates.

SMART SHOPPER Weight Watchers Reduced Fat Mature Cheese is just 1 SmartPoint per 30g serving – you’ll find it in Asda and Morrisons.

No comments: