Disclaimer!

Disclaimer
Beverley has prepared the content of Bev's World irresponsibly and carelessly. She therefore disclaims all warranties, express or implied, as to the accuracy, originality or completeness of the drivel presented on this blog or on other linked websites or on any subsequent links. She vehemently denies that the information may be relied upon for any reason. Beverley shall not be liable for inflicting laughter, shame, disgust, torrents of tears and the eventual desiccation or crashing boredom on readers.

Find me on facebook. https://www.facebook.com/BeHappyOwls or search for Be Happy Owls

Sunday 24 April 2016

Count? Nah not today ;)



24th April 2016
Every day holds the possibility of a miracle.
Finally got in my garden yesterday, planted some seeds in my greenhouse, so we'll see what happens but I've got to admit as much as I enjoyed doing that, it's time-consuming and I am a fair weather gardener so by the time I get out there, I want instant pretty, therefore they'll be a visit to the garden centre for help, I do love the baskets I hang each year and Pipers on the A5 by Gailey never let me down, they're reasonably priced too.  We shall see, I might still have a go myself, but I really want to make a planter, I'm sure I'll decide in good time!

Well we've been talking No Count in my meetings this week and I'm sure quite a few folk will be trying it, even if you don't follow the No Count plan, it's always good to eat those ingredients and use them in your cooking.  Yesterday I had a bit of a cooking session too whilst listening to "Pick of the Pops" and deafening my neighbours with my singing!  I made a beef hotpot thing in the oven and a beef curry in the slow cooker, there were a couple of packets of beef reduced in Sainsbury's so it'd be rude not to take advantage!  I can eat them today and tomorrow now.  All the ingredients were No Count, the only thing that needed pointing was the sachet of Colman's Slow Cooker curry which was 3sp, bargain.  I also made Char Sui BBQ pork, one of the Simply Cook meals, that cost me 3sp from my weeklies for the flavour pots, I'd use chicken if I were to do it again, pork just isn't for me, it may be my cooking skills but it was a bit tough and chewy!

If you have a Weight Watcher monthly pass and/or esource account here's the link to find the No Count list https://www.weightwatchers.com/uk/m/cms/article/no-count-food-list it's also in your Eat Book don't forget, page 110. 

I'm feeling poached eggs on crumpets for breakfast I think, then I'll have stew or curry later, if we do go out and moms tempted by cake, I may join her and have a jacket with beans as I really enjoyed that the other day.  I'd also be tempted to carry round my own little jar of low fat spread or low fat mayo, those little jam jars you get when you have cream teas would be ideal to have in your bag for when you want to eat out but not waste your points on butter!   Daft as it sounds they don't always do plain tuna so what's to stop you taking a little tin with a pull ring!

I also had a food find in Sainsbury's yesterday, a little expensive at £2.50 but each sachet adds the flavour of a glass of red wine for zero points.
I've just noticed that Sainsbury's tinned sardines in spring water are No Count too, I like sardines in tomato sauce, nothing to stop me adding a bit of puree to then once I've drained them, be nice on toast.  Pull ring too!  Easy to open wherever you are - I likes that idea.

I'm looking forward to next week's meetings where we can all share our finds and our thoughts about No Count, it'll be interesting.

This recipe most definitely isn't No Count, but they are worth the 5sp if you like something sweet and that's what the weeklies are for.  Or maybe go and earn yourself some FitPoints.

Coffee & Walnut Muffins
serves 12, 5sp each 

250 g flour (25sp)
3 teaspoon baking powder  (1sp)
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 teaspoon white sugar (4sp)
1 medium egg (2sp)
180ml strong coffee 
60ml skimmed milk (1sp)
85 g low-fat spread (11sp)
60g chopped walnuts (optional) (13sp)
30g brown sugar (7sp)
Put muffin cases in muffin tin

Preheat oven to 375-400oF (190-200oC), Gas Mark 5-6.

In a large bowl, sift together (or stir thoroughly with a fork); flour, baking powder and salt.  Stir in sugar.  add chopped walnuts
Make a well in the centre and set aside.

In a separate bowl, beat egg lightly with a fork.  Stir in milk and melted margarine.

Pour all of liquid ingredients into dry and stir just until combined, scraping sides and bottom of the bowl as you stir.  This mixing should not take more than about 20 seconds.  Batter will be lumpy, but now dry flour should be visible.  Do not over-stir.

Fill muffin cups ¾ full.  Makes 12. 

Before baking sprinkle tops with a mixture of 60g brown sugar plus ½ teaspoon cinnamon.   Bake for about 20-25 minutes.  Muffins are done when tops are lightly browned and spring back when touched.  Best served warm.

Here's to enjoying your Sunday BeYOUtiful, I know I'm going to!



No comments: