Disclaimer!

Disclaimer
Beverley has prepared the content of Bev's World irresponsibly and carelessly. She therefore disclaims all warranties, express or implied, as to the accuracy, originality or completeness of the drivel presented on this blog or on other linked websites or on any subsequent links. She vehemently denies that the information may be relied upon for any reason. Beverley shall not be liable for inflicting laughter, shame, disgust, torrents of tears and the eventual desiccation or crashing boredom on readers.

Find me on facebook. https://www.facebook.com/BeHappyOwls or search for Be Happy Owls

Monday 27 January 2014

Pot Noodles & Savoury Rice - Yes please!



27th January 2014
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got." Henry Ford

Gonna be difficult talking about food this morning as I’ve got to have a fasting blood test this morning so no tea or food, nothing serious just my free health check confirming I’m middle aged ;-)



Had a lovely day yesterday, made Breakfast Muffins, the recipe makes 12 so I was glad we had visitors so they could share them!  Also cooked a Sunday roast dinner, forgot to put the Yorkshire puddings on the dinner but I didn’t notice till hours later, so just goes to show how we don’t always need the foods we’re used to on a meal!

A few conversations I had yesterday got me to thinking about cooking from scratch, I do it most of the time these days, but I didn’t always, I used to eat cereal followed by two ready meals a day with tinned vegetables to bulk it all out, I knew how to cook the basics but I didn’t because I was “TOO BUSY” I believed, then I bought a few cookbooks and started having a go, I realised I got more food for my ProPoints if I made it myself, and I eventually got better and now I rarely eat ready meals.

This is the film I watched that someone posted, short and interesting.

I then had a chat with my besties lad who told me they’d made Savoury Rice at school, his photo looked delicious and I will be having a go myself at something similar.  It made me think of those packets you buy for both “Savoury Rice” and “Super Noodles” I used to live on those dehydrated packets of food!  Now just the thought of them makes me pull a face as they don’t taste very nice once you start eating ‘real’ food.  Food you make from scratch doesn’t usually contain ingredients like Monosodium Glutamate or Disodium 5-ribonucleotides or Butylated hydroxyanisole (I’ve just looked online at the ingredients!)I’ve googled these and about this last one it says “Since 1947, BHA has been added to edible fats and fat-containing foods for its antioxidant properties as it prevents rancidification of food which creates objectionable odours”   The US National Institutes of Health report that BHA is reasonably anticipated to be a human carcinogen based on evidence of carcinogenicity in experimental animals. In particular, when administered in high doses as part of their diet”

 

I think some of the things that puts people off cooking is they think it’s difficult and time-consuming – it doesn’t have to be either and they also look at a recipe and it has so many ingredients!  Again you can find recipes with only a few ingredients, there’s even an app called, “take 4 ingredients”.

I’m lucky that now I have all the gadgets and utensils, I’ve bought them here and there over the years, lots of secondhand stuff too, you can get your basics in the pound shop though.

Here’s a Simple Start, Filling & Healthy recipe for Savoury Rice (18pp)

Ingredients
1 onion
3 mushrooms
1/2 red pepper
1 tomato
1 x 10ml spoon oil (3pp) (daily oil allowance)
150g long grain rice (use wholemeal for F&H) (14pp)
1 x 5ml spoon vegetable stock powder or cube
550ml boiling water
50g peas (1pp)
1 x 10ml spoon curry powder

Utentils
Chopping board
Knife
Sauce pan
Wooden Spoon
Measuring Spoon
Weighing Scales
Kettle
Measuring Jug

Prepare the vegetables:
1. Peel and chop the onion
2. Slice the mushrooms
3. Deseed and dice the red pepper
4. Chop the tomato

Fry the onion in oil until soft.  Add the mushrooms and red pepper and cook for a further 2 minutes.  Stir in the rice.  Mix the stock powder with the water.  Add the stock, peas and curry powder to the rice mixture.  Simmer for 15 minutes, until the rice is tender.  Serve the rice in a bowl and sprinkle the chopped tomato on top.

I might have that today, his photo looked really tasty and it was in a foil tray like a take-away!

Or maybe make your own Pot Noodle (9pp)

Ingredients

1 bacon medallion, chopped (1pp)
2 spring onions, white and green separated and finely sliced
50g frozen peas (1pp)
quarter tsp paprika
2 tsp cornflour
200ml vegetable stock
150g block straight-to-wok wheat noodles, or equivalent of dried, cooked  (7pp)
splash Worcestershire sauce

In a small non-stick pan, fry the bacon for a few mins, add the white parts of the spring onions, peas and paprika, then cook for 1 min more. Mix the cornflour with a little of the stock to get a paste, then stir this into the pan with the rest of the stock, noodles and a good splash of Worcestershire sauce. Simmer for a couple of mins until thick and saucy, and then scatter with the green parts of spring onion.

Two easy meals that even kids can make, now’s the time to be teaching them to cook, I was able to prepare and cook the Sunday Dinner with mom from quite a young age, I remember with fondness helping her in the kitchen.

It’s never too late for change, re-read the saying at the top of this blog, is it time to try a different approach?

Have a great day, EatGorgeous & of course BeYOUtiful. xx

No comments: