Disclaimer!

Disclaimer
Beverley has prepared the content of Bev's World irresponsibly and carelessly. She therefore disclaims all warranties, express or implied, as to the accuracy, originality or completeness of the drivel presented on this blog or on other linked websites or on any subsequent links. She vehemently denies that the information may be relied upon for any reason. Beverley shall not be liable for inflicting laughter, shame, disgust, torrents of tears and the eventual desiccation or crashing boredom on readers.

Find me on facebook. https://www.facebook.com/BeHappyOwls or search for Be Happy Owls

Friday 10 January 2014

Can I get a Whoop Whoop for Simple Start!



10th January 2014
Never put off till tomorrow what you can do today. (it may be too late!) 

Can I get a WHOOP WHOOP!  Happy with the scales this morning, of the 7lb I gained over Christmas, 5.5lb of it has gone this morning I’m happy to share.  That’s Simple Start done for a week to the letter, I haven’t had any wine as I’ve used my treats for other things – I’m a happy lady this morning and ready for week 2 of Simple Start.

Today I’m at Asda in Bloxwich for a couple of hours from 10am, so I’ll be able to do some shopping whilst I’m there.  Feel free to drop in and see me, especially if you haven’t been able to get to a meeting this week, if you bring a tenner with you, I can sell you a monthly pass and you can get on it immediately, be on track for the weekend!  I’ll have a set of scales with me too ;)
I’ve also ended my week with a whooping 55½ miles on my pedometer which would’ve earned me 48pp had I been using them, housework, being a nurse, leader etc all earns those steps, I didn’t need to do “structured exercise” this week.


Here are yesterdays meals, delicious of course;
 

 

Great news about mom, my bestie took her to see the consultant yesterday and it looks like an operation is the only option and the doctor was really positive.   No particular risks with having the surgery other than the normal risks of any surgery.  The surgery is keyhole unless for whatever reason on the day that’s not possible in which case it will be regular surgery.  Mom’s consented to the op and there’s approximately a 3 month waiting list.   He says she’s a fit old bird in the scheme of themes (I’m guessing he didn’t use those exact words, but you get my gist).  My mom’s got the most vivid imagination and by 3pm yesterday that had changed to “if they can’t do keyhole they’re going to have to cut me open and break my ribs to get to my chest”, erm NO, that’s not what they said at all ;-) there will be no breaking of any ribs – I do love how she can escalate a story off the Richter scale!

I’m so pleased that she will be getting the operation as she’s suffered so much over the years with stomach problems, and every meal has been a struggle to eat for the last 6 months or more, hopefully now this will bring some relief.

We all think we’re indestructible don’t we!  We put things off thinking to ourselves, “I’ll make a start tomorrow” and tomorrow never comes does it?  My mom spent 40+ years doing that, taking care of her five children and her husband (who wasn’t much use or help, he never made a start and died at 60!).  She would comfort eat to make up for the fact her life was so damn tough, no money, no support just 5 kids all with their own demands and she put her own life and self care on hold for 30 years or so!  By the time dad died and she was able to start to put herself first, a lot of the damage had been done, she’d been overweight (18st at her heaviest I recall), she’d eaten terribly and her stomach had been damaged because of it.  Losing the weight helped enormously, not just her stomach but her aches and pains; it gave her much better health.  Again, unfortunately she continued to eat a lot of junk food, sweet stuff was her downfall, she was at her goal weight but at least half of her daily intake was from foods that had no nutritional value such as chocolate, biscuits, cakes and crisps – being thin doesn’t automatically make you healthy.

This all stops NOW in our house, 2014 is the year that ends the rubbish living in this house, I haven’t bought any junk since we got back from Wales and I don’t intend to – we can live without it.  We can eat delicious, healthy, nutritious food and enjoy ‘Eat Gorgeous’ meals.  Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying she won’t ever be able to enjoy a slice of cake again, however if and when she does – it’ll be a treat and we’ll probably be out in a coffee shop.  Nothing tastes as good as being alive feels!  

I too have realised the importance of keeping my wine intake under control, I plan to limit it from now on, I haven’t had a drink at all this week and I’ve been fine without, I tend not to drink when I’ve stressed or worried about something as the pleasure goes out of the act.  I’ve had an invite for a free NHS Health Check (because I’m in my 40s) so I’m going to make the time to arrange that this month and see what they say.

Yeah 2014 is the “Year of the Healthy & Happy Household”, who fancies joining me in that campaign?

Get a healthy and happy household now and your kids will thank you for it so much in the future!  I had a lovely family join me on Wednesday night and we were joking, there was mom, 3 daughters and two of the grand-daughters.  After school mom (nan) had picked up the grandkids so that her daughters could work as is the norm these days.  The gorgeous grand-daughters told me how nan gave food for every situation, it they’d had a bad day at school they were treated to a cake, if they had a good day at school they were rewarded with a cake, they’d sit eating crumpets whilst nan cooked their tea!  One of the daughter told me her daughter had been a size 12 at the age of 10, then she stopped going to nans house after school and within a year or so she was down to a size 8!  Bless the two grand-daughters sitting in my meeting, they laughed and said, “unfortunately we stayed with nan till we left school.”  

We don’t do it on purpose do we, none of us intentionally overfeed someone else or give them bad eating habits to cause them a weight problem in the long term, it’s just society, it’s what we were brought up with, food has always been a way to show someone how much you love them and want to take care of them, so it kind of sits that the more you feed them the more you love them!  The better the food the better the love!  Unfortunately that’s not the case is it, so we need to change our thinking.

I’m going to – are you?

Eat Gorgeous & BeYOUtiful. xx

No comments: