Disclaimer!

Disclaimer
Beverley has prepared the content of Bev's World irresponsibly and carelessly. She therefore disclaims all warranties, express or implied, as to the accuracy, originality or completeness of the drivel presented on this blog or on other linked websites or on any subsequent links. She vehemently denies that the information may be relied upon for any reason. Beverley shall not be liable for inflicting laughter, shame, disgust, torrents of tears and the eventual desiccation or crashing boredom on readers.

Find me on facebook. https://www.facebook.com/BeHappyOwls or search for Be Happy Owls

Friday 31 December 2010

December 29th 2010

Does anyone else remember back when the amount you ate was related to how hungry you were? Jimmy Carr.

So England have retained the ashes for the first time in 24 years! I only know this because I just turned the tele on to be told, not being a cricket fan it means nothing to me but it’s always good to see a bunch of English blokes jumping up and down on tv ecstatic because of sport ;-)

Apparently today’s the busiest day for booking your summer holidays! And a lot of women are putting their health at risk by carrying too much weight around their waist, I stopped listening right about there. The only time I watch the news on tv and read the papers is when I’m on my holidays. Having just put the tv on for 5 minutes so far this morning, I’ve already heard enough, it’s now telling me I’m going to probably die of the flu, that’s if my fat belly doesn’t get me first!!!!

So did you miss your morning email, I’ve enjoyed my rest, for a week I’ve thought about absolutely nothing apart from what to eat and whether to take Alfie for another walk o yeah and the burning question – how early is too early to open a bottle of wine ;0) Joking aside I’ve not been drinking my red wine this week, although I have enjoyed the odd glass or two of port and damson gin.

It’s been lovely not to think about ProPoints, or whether or not I should eat something, and to be honest because I’ve not done the ‘guilt’ thing and I came away with the attitude that whatever I gain, I know I can get it back off, I don’t think I’ve been as greedy as I have been in the past. I’m also looking forward to getting back to eating well, although I haven’t gone too far the other way to be honest.

Christmas dinner for us was a Nigella recipe, I’m not a vegetarian but moms not a huge fan of meat or proper meals so I thought I’d offer her something different and she ate every mouthful! So here’s the recipe if you fancy something a bit different and totally scrumptious that proves you don’t have to eat “diet food” to stick within your ProPoints. This meal is definitely going in my ‘to-do’ regular list.

Papperdelle with butternut & blue cheese

Serves 6, 11pp each

1 large butternut squash, approx 1.25-1.5kg or 800g ready-cubed
1 medium-large onion
2 x 15ml tablespoons regular olive oil
¾ teaspoon smoked paprika (I couldn’t find smoked so just used ground – not sure if there’s a difference)
1 x 15ml tablespoon unsalted butter
3 x 15ml tablespoons marsala (I used port)
125ml water
Salt to taste (I didn’t use, as my butter was salted ;) )
100g pine nuts
500g paperdelle or other robust pasta
6 fresh sage leaves (I didn’t have any so missed this out!)
125g soft blue cheese, such as Saint Agur (if you’re not a blue fan, use crumbled Cheshire or Wensleydale)

Peel and de-seed the butternut squash, and cut into roughly 2cm cubes.
Peel and finely chop the onion and fry in the olive oil in a large heavy-based pan that can accommodate the pasta later. When the onion starts to become golden, add the paprika.

Tumble in the cubes of butternut squash and then add the butter, turning everything together in the pan. Once the squash is slicked with the oniony oil and butter and the marsala and water. Let the pan come to a bubble, then put the lid on, turn down the heat and simmer for about 20 minutes or until tender.

Meanwhile, put a large pan of water on for the pasta, adding salt only when it comes to the boil; and toast the pine nuts separately in a hot, dry pan on the hob until scorched a dark gold, then tip them into a bowl or plate to cool.

Lift the lid off the squash pan and check the butternut is tender; if not, then cook for a little longer without the lid on – the squash should hold its shape and not turn to a mush. Once it’s ready, season to taste – go easy with the salt because the blue cheese will add extra saltiness later – and take off the heat.

Cook pasta according to packet instructions, though check a couple of minutes before the manufacturers declare it to be ready. While waiting for the pasta to cook – you should give the pan a loose stir or swirl every now and again – you can finely chop the sage leaves and crumble the cheese. Sprinkle most of the sage over the squash, keeping some back and give a quick stir; but keep the cheese for now.

Before you drain the pappardelle, lower a mug or cut into the pan and hive off a little pasta-cooking water, then tip the drained pasta into the resting sage-sprinkled squash pan and slowly turn the pasta in the sauce to combine; or you can do this in a capacious warmed bowl. If you find the sauce too dry, or if it all needs a little help coming together, add some of the pasta cooking water – the starch in it encourages the scaues to emulsify, the better to cling to the pasta.

Drop in the crumbled cheese and about half of the pine nuts, then – much as though you were tossing a salad – gently combine, before sprinkling the other half of the pine nuts and the reserved chopped sage on top

Enjoy

Have a fabulous day, I’m driving home tomorrow and it’s great to take time out because it always makes me realise I love my life and my job ;-) Hope you feel the same about yours, and if you don’t maybe 2011 should be the year you’re brave enough to make changes!

No comments: