Disclaimer!

Disclaimer
Beverley has prepared the content of Bev's World irresponsibly and carelessly. She therefore disclaims all warranties, express or implied, as to the accuracy, originality or completeness of the drivel presented on this blog or on other linked websites or on any subsequent links. She vehemently denies that the information may be relied upon for any reason. Beverley shall not be liable for inflicting laughter, shame, disgust, torrents of tears and the eventual desiccation or crashing boredom on readers.

Find me on facebook. https://www.facebook.com/BeHappyOwls or search for Be Happy Owls

Tuesday 9 January 2024

Delicious dinner, recipe included

Tuesday 9th January 2024


Well I made it through another day and at the moment, I'm not finding it too difficult, although I could've done another glass of wine last night, I resisted :) GO ME!  

I had that yogurt I'd bought over Christmas for breakfast yesterday, it was nice but it wasn't worth 263 calories nor the 8.4g of saturated fat in it either!  I did enjoy the 100g of galia melon I had with it though, I'm actually enjoying the fruit I've been including but not the effect its having on my tummy or the heartburn it's adding too, my body's just not used to it.  I'm not gonna give up with it though, I'll see if it gets used to it over time.

I went for my final pain management MOT at the gym and all was good, my sugar glucose was up slightly since October but we've had Christmas haven't we, it's likely to be, I've booked to have it all done again at the end of February, he'll check my Cholesterol then too so I can see if my change in diet is helping.  I've now joined the gym, I've invested in me, I've been lucky to have access to that gym for six months and because of the joint pain programme, they gave me a great offer so I've signed up and whilst I was there I did 20 minutes on the bike.  Slow and steady so I don't make my pain worse than it already is.  It's ten minutes away so I can go to do 20-30 minutes, it's not like I can't make the time and whilst himself is 'dying' on my sofa, it's a good place to be!  

When I got back I had a bowl of my Brussell sprout soup 148 calories for 300g, not bad although I realised putting the olive oil in it had meant it was quite high in calories for soup, a lot of Heinz soup is that amount for a 400g can, I did him a tin of mulligatawny soup to try and clear his nose.   

When I went for my GP appointment, I made him an appointment for this evening in case he needs antibiotics for his chest, it's a telephone appointment but I was still impressed with the speed of it!  My appointment means I'm no longer on HRT for now, he's referred me to gynaecology to be on the safe side and he wanted me to go back in a couple of months, if I don't stop bleeding he wants me to go back sooner.  He then called me when I got home and said if I hadn't heard from gyny by this time next week to call him!  I know he's erring on the side of caution so I'm not worried about it, the word cancer was mentioned but I'm not stressing, that would be just my luck though wouldn't it after finally getting my life all sorted about years of moms illness, followed by fighting for custody of Aryn!  

Teatime was a treat, I made this plateful of tasty...

   

  
Now I'm sure we've had these before or they are similar to the recipe on our blog that I do and they are so easy to make without the HelloFresh box (if you do fancy giving that a go though, here's the link for 60% off and 25% off for 10 weeks). 

How to make these beef tacos, easily, I'd even be inclined to try using quorn mince instead.  

Hoisin Beef Taco - feeds 4, 749 calories each
480g beef mince 15% 
2 red peppers
little gem lettuce
5 garlic cloves
12 Old El Paso tortillas (or similar, they're the smaller ones that are 122 calories each
128g hoisin sauce 

Get Prepped
Halve the bell pepper and discard the core and seeds. Slice into thin strips, then cut the strips in half.

Trim the baby gem, halve lengthways, then thinly slice.

Peel and grate the garlic (or use a garlic press).

Fry the Mince and Pepper
a) Heat a drizzle of oil in large frying pan on medium-high heat.

b) Once hot, add the beef mince and pepper. Fry until browned, 5-6 mins.

c) Use a spoon to break up the mince as it cooks. IMPORTANT: Wash your hands and equipment after handling raw mince.

Sauce Things Up
a) Once browned, drain and discard any excess fat from the beef. 

b) Stir in the garlic and cook for 30 secs.

c) Pour in the hoisin sauce and cook until sticky, 30 secs, then remove from the heat.

d) Season with salt and pepper. IMPORTANT: The mince is cooked when no longer pink in the middle.

a) Pile the tortillas onto a plate. Heat them through in the microwave, 850W: 50 secs / 750W: 1 min, until warm and soft.

b) If you're using the oven, lay the tortillas onto a baking tray and place on the middle shelf to warm through, 1-2 mins.

Assemble and Serve
a) To make your tacos, lay the tortillas on your plates.

b) Top with the hoisin beef and baby gem - as much as you'd like. TIP: Tacos are best enjoyed eaten by hand - get stuck in!

Enjoy!



You could use 5% mince to bring down the calories a little, or eat less of the tacos, we ate 4 tacos each so our was 999 calories but damn it was tasty!  We all inhaled it and it's so easy to cook, I'm starting a recipe book today for meals we enjoy and that's going on page one!

Whilst making the appointment to have my MOT check at gym next month, I got talking to the lad about cholesterol and he said one thing he'd picked up on over time doing the tests was that when people cut down on butter it's important to go to a good alternative as a lot of stuff is processed.  He talked about using avocado oil, olive oil, ghee butter or tallon butter which I'd never heard of!  Having just googled it, I've found tallow which is probably what he meant.  I'll use olive oil for cooking and stick to not having butter at all or very little.  He also asked how many eggs I ate because that seemed to be another trigger for higher cholesterol in his experience!  He said not to cut them out all together but to lower them, so if I was eating 14 a week, go down to 7.  I don't mind egg white omelettes so I looked to see the difference with saturated fat and here's the answer, I can easily replace 1 egg for 4 egg whites and save calories and saturated fat!  I can also have different breakfasts some days.  



It's not just food, it's lifestyle changes too so moving more, losing weight in general, drinking in moderation and quitting smoking, at least I don't smoke! 

Another day, another chance for success.  I've not thought about what I'm eating yet, we've got the HelloFresh so that's dinner sorted, I do know I've got a busy huddle day, I'm going to nip to gym in-between.   It's all under control - I got this, I'm actually enjoying this!  I want to lose weight and try and ease my pain, plus I want to feel better about the idea of putting clothes on and going out!  

Have a great day BeYOUtiful, we can do this xx 

Mwah, luv ya 


Love me x



No comments: