Disclaimer!

Disclaimer
Beverley has prepared the content of Bev's World irresponsibly and carelessly. She therefore disclaims all warranties, express or implied, as to the accuracy, originality or completeness of the drivel presented on this blog or on other linked websites or on any subsequent links. She vehemently denies that the information may be relied upon for any reason. Beverley shall not be liable for inflicting laughter, shame, disgust, torrents of tears and the eventual desiccation or crashing boredom on readers.

Find me on facebook. https://www.facebook.com/BeHappyOwls or search for Be Happy Owls

Monday 27 July 2020

Up before the Larks!

Monday 27th July 2020
A month from now, you can either have a month of progress or a month of excuses of why you didn't.


The upside of being woken and getting up at 3.30 is that by 5am, I've already done an hour of yoga and meditation and I'm sat with a mug of tea doing my blog!  At least it's showing me I can continue with my yoga when I return to face to face workshops, I'd normally get up at 5 on a work day anyways. 

I'm off to do a risk assessment at the Old Falling church this morning in the hope they'll let us back in Mid August (finger's crossed).  August 6th for Bloxwich is looking like a definite as I haven't heard anything to say we can't, a bit of normality returning to a very different world. 

I'm going to need energy today, so I need to pay some attention to what I eat, we are talking about the effect food has on our bodies in this weeks workshop and I know when I think about it, I eat better. 

As well as affecting our physical health, what we eat may also affect the way we feel.  Improving our diet may help to improve our mood as well as give us more energy and help you think more clearly.

Stop skipping meals, as eating regularly and choosing foods that release energy slowly will help to keep your sugar levels steady.  If your blood sugar drops you might find yourself feeling tired, irritable and depressed and we don't want that do we, there's enough about life as it is that can make us feel that way, without us helping those feelings to arrive!   Include some slow-release energy foods such as pasta, rice, oats, wholegrain bread and cereals, nuts and seeds.

I know it can be tempting to skip breakfast when we're in a rush or we think it'll mean we have more Smart Points for later in the day, but enjoying breakfast gets the day off to a good start.  If can be something simple like fruit and yogurt or a bowl of cereal, a slice of wholegrain toast or maybe if you're not a fan of food first thing a handful of pumpkin seeds.  

Try eating smaller portions spaced out more regularly throughout the day at lunch or dinner, large meals midday are likely to result in a slump.  Foods which make your blood sugar rise and fall rapidly are things like sweets, biscuits, sugary drinks so best avoided oh and alcohol of course!

Water, water everywhere ;) joking aside, how lucky are we to have fresh running water, so many people don't have that luxury, so make sure you're staying hydrated as not drinking enough fluid can result in you finding it difficult to concentrate or think clearly. You might also start to feel constipated (which puts no one in a good mood).  Okay okay, you don't like tap water, if you're one of those people, it's okay your tea, coffee or squash will count towards your daily intake, just be mindful of the caffeine content and any sugars. 

The obvious one?  Are you getting your 5 a day?  I know I've been making a conscious effort to eat some fruit each day but I think my vegetable consumption has reduced since I've starting shopping online once a week, I need to start noting how much I'm having.  Vegetables and fruit contain a lot of the minerals, vitamins and fibre we need to keep us physically and mentally healthy, eating a variety of different coloured fruits and vegetables every day means you’ll get a good range of nutrients.  They don't have to be fresh, frozen and tinned are just as good!  

Our gut health matters too, sometimes it can reflect how we are feeling emotionally. If we're stressed or anxious this can make our gut slow down or speed up. For healthy digestion we need to have plenty of fibre, fluid and exercise regularly.  Healthy gut foods include: fruits, vegetables and wholegrains, beans, pulses, live yoghurt and other probiotics. 

Protein is another important part of our healthy diet, make sure you're getting enough.  It contains amino acids, which make up the chemicals your brain needs to regulate your thoughts and feelings. It also helps keep you feeling fuller for longer which is so important if you're as greedy as me!  You'll find protein in lean meat, fish, eggs, cheese, legumes (peas, beans and lentils), soya products, nuts and seeds. 

Finally, don't be afraid to eat fat, just make sure it's the right fat!  Our brains needs fatty acids (such as omega-3 and -6) to keep it working well. Healthy fats are found in: oily fish, poultry, nuts (especially walnuts and almonds), olive and sunflower oils, seeds (such as sunflower and pumpkin), avocados, milk, yoghurt, cheese and eggs.

The government are going to put together a UK obesity strategy today and there's a link between obesity and Covid, I look forward to hearing it.  

But for now, I'm off to have a shower and get ready for my day ahead, hope you've got a good healthy one planned.  I'm going to tweak my supermarket shop to ensure I have plenty of veggies for the week ahead!

Mwah, luv ya 

Love me xx 


No comments: