Disclaimer!

Disclaimer
Beverley has prepared the content of Bev's World irresponsibly and carelessly. She therefore disclaims all warranties, express or implied, as to the accuracy, originality or completeness of the drivel presented on this blog or on other linked websites or on any subsequent links. She vehemently denies that the information may be relied upon for any reason. Beverley shall not be liable for inflicting laughter, shame, disgust, torrents of tears and the eventual desiccation or crashing boredom on readers.

Find me on facebook. https://www.facebook.com/BeHappyOwls or search for Be Happy Owls

Thursday 23 August 2018

Fish pie = mmm


23rd August 2018
Love yourself enough to set boundaries, your time and energy is precious. You get to choose how to use it.

Had a very great day yesterday, got stuff done, did a bit of cooking, finished it off with a good laugh at my meetings, my members and helpers keen me sane they really do.

This is what I cooked, my very first fish pie, well I don’t remember ever having cooked one before.  I looked at a few recipes online then tweaked about and ended up with this one.  If you have a go don’t be afraid to mess around and add or remove stuff.  It can live without the parsley, I thought the eggs were a nice touch, especially as they’re zero heroes.




Fish Pie
Feeds 8, 7SP if using half fat cheese, 6SP if using protein

1.5 kg potatoes (36SP)
4 large free-range eggs, optional
50g low fat spread (7SP)
50g plain flour (5SP)
2 bay leaves
350ml stock (I used Bouillion as I had it in cupboard) (1SP)
350ml skimmed milk, plus an extra splash
50g Cheddar cheese (half fat = 5SP, Protein = 1SP and you can use 70g)
½ a lemon
1 heaped teaspoon English mustard (1SP)
a few sprigs of fresh flat-leaf parsley , optional
700g skinless, boneless fish (I used white fish & salmon)
Handful of peas and sweetcorn


1.    Preheat the oven to 200ºC/400ºF/gas 6.
2.    Peel the potatoes and cut into 2cm chunks, then boil for around 15 minutes, or until tender. Add the eggs for the last 8 minutes (if using).
3.    Meanwhile, make the sauce. Melt the low fat spread in a pan over a low heat and stir in the flour. Add the bay leaves, then add the stock and the milk slowly, stirring continually until you have a smooth sauce. Bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes, or until thickened.
4.    Stir in the mustard, grate in half the cheese, then squeeze in the lemon juice. Finely chop and stir in the parsley (if using), then keep stirring until the cheese is melted. Season with a little black pepper, then remove from the heat.
5.    Get yourself a 25cm x 30cm baking dish. Cut fish into 2.5cm chunks and spread them evenly over the base of the dish.
6.    Add peas and sweetcorn, then peel, quarter and add the eggs (if using). Remove the bay leaves, then pour over the white sauce and allow to cool slightly.
7.    Drain the potatoes well and mash with a splash of milk. Spoon the potatoes over the pie and scuff up the surface with a fork.
8.    Grate the remaining cheese over the top and bake in the oven for 45 minutes, or until the fish is cooked through, the sauce is bubbling up at the sides and the top is golden.
9.    Serve and enjoy, I had mine with cabbage.

 
 This was the stock I used.

Yeah I did enjoy it and so did those I shared it with, I love it when a recipe works.  Now to find something else to have a go at. 
 
For my tea I had a sachet of Sharwoods Tarka Daal, it was 7SP and meant to be a side, but I enjoyed it as a main and that’s a recipe I’d like to make, actually I’d love to master more Asian food, it’s so good but rarely tastes as good as if it’s been cooked by someone who knows what they’re doing!

Maybe I’ll experiment again, especially as this would be zero if I made it myself!

Tarka lentil dhal


Ingredients:
12 oz red split lentils (washed and drained)
1/2 tsp turmeric
1 tsp peeled and grated ginger (I used frozen)
spray oil
1 tsp whole cumin seeds
1 tsp black mustard seeds
1/2 tsp dried chili flakes
2 cloves crushed garlic (I used frozen)
1 tsp salt

Place the lentils in a large saucepan with the turmeric, ginger, garlic and chili flakes and add 2 pints of water. Bring to a simmer (dont let it boil) and simmer for 35-40 minutes stirring every now and then. Remove from the heat and set aside.
In a small frying pan spray with spray oil and place on a medium heat, Add the cumin and mustard seeds and wait for them to start to ‘pop’ stir and cook for another minute or so then stir into the lentil mixture along with the salt.
Return to the heat and bring back to the boil, taste in case you need more salt and serve.
Anyway I need to get moving, got stuff to do and another very great day to be had!  I’ll catch ya tomorrow, keep focusing on a healthy life.

No comments: