Disclaimer!

Disclaimer
Beverley has prepared the content of Bev's World irresponsibly and carelessly. She therefore disclaims all warranties, express or implied, as to the accuracy, originality or completeness of the drivel presented on this blog or on other linked websites or on any subsequent links. She vehemently denies that the information may be relied upon for any reason. Beverley shall not be liable for inflicting laughter, shame, disgust, torrents of tears and the eventual desiccation or crashing boredom on readers.

Find me on facebook. https://www.facebook.com/BeHappyOwls or search for Be Happy Owls

Tuesday 3 October 2023

I'm falling apart :)

Tuesday 3rd October 2023 


I went for the results of my MRI scan yesterday and I have Spondylolisthesis and a bulging disc, now that's a big bloody word and it isn't the same as spondylitis which is what a few people have thought.  So what is it, well it's bloody hard to pronounce for starters!  spon· dy· lo· lis· the· sis there you go :) 

According to the NHS website spondylolisthesis  s where one of the bones in your spine, called a vertebra, slips forward. It can be painful, but there are treatments that can help.  Mine could've been caused by my infamous skateboard crash or it could've been from years of falling off things which I'm very good at I'll have you know!  I mean I feel out of a bedroom window at the age of 4, a few mountains, yeah I'm a bit of a clumsy bitch it has to be said.  

Spondylolisthesis  may happen anywhere along the spine, but is most common in the lower back and mines in L5 where I also have a bulging disc - YAY, I wasn't imaging the pain in my leg, it isn't all in my head.  Now spondylolisthesis and bulging disc are two different conditions. Spondylolisthesis is a spinal disorder in which one vertebra slips onto the vertebra below it, causing pain in the lower back or legs.   On the other hand, a bulging disc occurs when the tissue between the bones in your spine pushes out.  How blessed am I to have both and to be able to find the words online to explain it to you.  Having said that the man I had my appointment with was very helpful and gave me information showing me photos online to get it across.  

He's now referred me to the spinal people but the good news is, I'm unlikely to need surgery because I'm coping with it, they may offer me injections or if I can continue to improve with what I'm doing, it will just be kept an eye on and it's on my records for the future if it does deteriorate.  

Yeah I will continue to exercise to build strength in my joints and muscles, build my core strength and energy levels.  

The other thing I really need to do is lose some more damn weight because we all know being overweight isn't gonna help and they say for every 1lb you lose you take 4lb of pressure of your back and knees and I have a bad knee too.  If I could lose a stone, it would make such a difference I'm sure and I need to remember this when I'm being a greedy cow because I do love food and wine, there's no denying it, I'm not eating for 'comfort' anymore I'm back to eating because it tastes so damn good so what I need to start doing is cooking meals that don't just taste amazing but that are healthy and within my calorie allowance. 

I will see what the scales say this morning and then work on this, stop being a greedy cow and I need to remind myself of my WHY because being in pain sucks - not being able to stand for longer than 5 minutes before the pain in my lower leg kicks in sucks, having sciatica going all down my leg when I walk for 5 minutes or more sucks and feeling like my knee has been hit by a hammer sucks.  This extra stone in weight SUCKS!  Don't get me wrong I could do with losing double that, but let's start with a bit of realism and lose the first SUCKY STONE!  

I did go to the gym straight from my appointment 30 minutes cardio and about the same doing weights, I wanted to swim too but I'd run out energy, I knew my back was struggling and a swim would've sent it over the edge.  I'm tempted to go today for half hour swim in-between huddles I have a few hours, I could fit it in!  Stop me sitting watching tele I guess, cos let's be honest I won't use that time to do housework even though I could :)

Yeah, start as I mean to go on, need to plan a bit of breakfast so I'm not starving, sorted.  

I've slept so much last night, I was in so much discomfort with my back I decided to go and lie in bed about half five, when himself called me at 6, I'd fell asleep!  I soon went back to sleep too when we'd finished a chat, I then woke up about half ten, the cat woke me at half three and I got up at 6 - BOOM!  I am fully re-energised, my backs not so bad this morning either so happy days, here's to a happy day!

I hope your world is good, if like me you know you could do with a kick up the ass and to start taking your weight loss journey serious, come join us at the huddles this week, we're all in this together!

Mwah, luv ya

Love me x

No comments: