Disclaimer!

Disclaimer
Beverley has prepared the content of Bev's World irresponsibly and carelessly. She therefore disclaims all warranties, express or implied, as to the accuracy, originality or completeness of the drivel presented on this blog or on other linked websites or on any subsequent links. She vehemently denies that the information may be relied upon for any reason. Beverley shall not be liable for inflicting laughter, shame, disgust, torrents of tears and the eventual desiccation or crashing boredom on readers.

Find me on facebook. https://www.facebook.com/BeHappyOwls or search for Be Happy Owls

Tuesday 9 October 2018

Let's get souped up!

9th October 2018
Don’t overthink how you’re going to start.  Starting is all that matters.


So every day until we’ve gone through the pack I’m going to blog a coaching card question, I’ve shuffled the pack and I’ll take the top card from the pile each morning, today’s is

What is working well for you in your life?

Ooo I like that one, it’s a positive question isn’t it?  Hard to answer just like that though, mmm let me think, my job is working really well for me, it fits in great with mom and her needs, I’m so grateful that I don’t have a 9-5 job right now.  My friends too, they understand me and even something as simple as my bestie driving over to me (which is a 60 mile round trip) is appreciated because it saves me time.  Having a massage once a week works too, that helps me have some time out and eases my aching joints.  I’m going to have to think about other stuff, those are what come to mind straight away.  I like the simplicity of my life right now, there’s so much to do with mom that I can’t deal with complications, so a simple life is working for me too.

I mentioned yesterday an article about doing a brain dump, it’s a good read, here’s the link;

Alzheimer’s / Dementia, everyone knows it’s a vile, horrid disease but it’s horrid in so many ways, yesterday for example, I’ve got a nasty head cold and all I wanted to do was rest and recover, mom forgets I’m ill of course because of her condition.  Then on the afternoon Alfie starts dragging himself round the floor and whining, he hasn’t done that for a long time but it’s usually stomach related, he’s got belly ache, so now on top of the lurgy I have to listen to mom saying, “What’s the matter Alfie, can we give him something, what shall we do”, on a continual loop for 4 or 5 hours before I suggest we’d all be better off going to bed.  You can’t even just be poorly in peace.  That’s on of the many effects Dementia/Alzheimer’s has on a household.

I’ve slept thanks to Night Nurse, I went to sleep to the dulcet tones of mom talking to Alfie, yep the same thing over and over again!

Anyway, that’s my offloading for today, let’s talk soup, it’s that kind of weather, soups a great comforting meal, a hug in a mug, let’s share our favourite recipes, every day for the rest of this week I’ll give you a recipe to try, here’s todays

Bacon and white bean soup (6SP Total)

1 tsp olive oil (2SP)
2 lean smoked bacon rashers, chopped (4SP)
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 onion, chopped
3 thyme sprigs
2 x 400g cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
850ml/1½ pints vegetable stock
2 tbsp chopped parsley
freshly ground black pepper

Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Add the bacon, garlic and onion and fry for 3-4 minutes, or until the bacon begins to brown and the onion softens.

Add the thyme and fry for a further minute. Add the beans and stock to the pan and bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.

Transfer the soup to a blender or food processor (I use a hand blender) and blend with the parsley and pepper until smooth.

Return the soup to the pan and heat through, then ladle into 4 bowls and serve immediately.

That does sound good! 

I cooked grey peas yesterday, well I say I cooked, I put them on the stove and by the time I went to bed 12 hours later, they were still considering whether to soften or not!  I haven’t put any bacon in because I hadn’t got any, using the contents of kitchen still remember, I’m curious to see what a bowl tastes like without the bacon, if they every cook I’ll let you know, I don’t think I’ve ever known a pan full take so long but I will not be defeated, I’ll see if they’ve softened overnight.

Right, here’s hoping a shower will clear my sinuses and set me up for the day, make yours good , it’s still dark outside right now but here’s to a sunny autumn day hey!

No comments: