Disclaimer!

Disclaimer
Beverley has prepared the content of Bev's World irresponsibly and carelessly. She therefore disclaims all warranties, express or implied, as to the accuracy, originality or completeness of the drivel presented on this blog or on other linked websites or on any subsequent links. She vehemently denies that the information may be relied upon for any reason. Beverley shall not be liable for inflicting laughter, shame, disgust, torrents of tears and the eventual desiccation or crashing boredom on readers.

Find me on facebook. https://www.facebook.com/BeHappyOwls or search for Be Happy Owls

Sunday 29 November 2020

Spinning plates?

Sunday 29th November 2020
Recharge yourself as much as you recharge your phone!


I tried to turn off yesterday, it's not easy at the moment, but I did manage it long enough to watch the movie Last Christmas, my head is so distracted right now, even when I was chatting with my friends on Zoom yesterday morning, I kept missing bits of the conversation because my thoughts went somewhere else, or I heard my mom downstairs trying to open the front door so my mind was there then.  I need to work at being in the now more, to stop trying to do everything at once, basically like my laptop - I have way too many taps open!  I need to close some tabs knowing I can reopen them when necessary, they don't need to stay open constantly.  

It's like spinning plates isn't it!  Do you feel like that, you're trying to spin all those plates in your life, I was talking to my bestie yesterday as she was driving home from work and she's working so hard right now (please stop ordering so much unnecessary crap online lol - she's a postie) that all she does is work, eat and sleep!  That's no life is it, but how many of us are doing the same! 

I found myself yesterday thinking, I need to get back to doing some meditation, but then I started thinking that's another bloody plate though isn't it - something else to 'have to do!'  So instead I didn't do anything, I just carried on letting my brain be busy, it doesn't even have to be stuff you have to do, it can be the stuff you want to do, so I'm sat there trying to do a jigsaw with mom thinking I've got to finish that crochet blanket whilst my brain was dancing with other thoughts so I wasn't in the moment at all.  

I don't need to add meditation to the equation, although I can if I want to, see want is a much better word than should which implies something that I feel I have to do rather than want to do.  I could just stop and take a few breathes instead, yep the next time you find yourself thinking, 'this is all just too much, I can't keep up', STOP, and take a few deep breathes.  Honest it automatially calms you a little - really?  Yeah, if you are thinking “this is too much”, your nervous system is in the sympathetic state which means that it is going into a flight or fight reaction.  This means: an increased heart rate and blood pressure; a slowing down of the digestive function; an increase of hormones flooding your system, amongst other things.  But when you purposefully focus on your breath, you stimulate your vagus nerve and activate your parasympathetic nervous system.  When the parasympathetic nervous system is stimulated, it is the perfect counter-balance and your heart rate and blood pressure can slow down and all the other systems of the body can begin to calm.  

Oh and you don't need to undestand any of that, all you need to know is if you stop, breathe and take a moment, consciously breathing in and out, not for very long, just a few breaths can be the perfect reset button and give you just a little space to make sure those plates spin in the right way again.  

Sounds good doesn't it?  I think so, but I've also realised it's time for me to check what's on those plates, whether all of them are necessary, if any of them can be removed or tweaked or if some of them have fallen already but really need putting back on the spinning stick.  

One plate that's not just fallen, I think it's probably smashed, is healthy eating, that's completely gone out of the window, my meals are irregular, not being thought through at all and not balanced either.  I need to get fish and vegetables back into my diet, I need to get my portion sizes back under control and I need to stop thinking, oh it's not important right now - it bloody is!  

So today, I will have my Marlies menu, vegetable koftas for my dinner and I'm going to have a cooked brunch, so lean bacon, tomatoes, mushrooms and eggs with a couple of slices of bread.  I won't need a third meal there, two are plenty.  I'm not hungry now so I'll have the first meal after I've done my virtual workshop this morning.  

I'm going to spend some time thinking about the other plates I'm spinning and see what can be done, some plates you might be spinning could be, health, relationships, friendships, jobs, home, kids, or any area of your life you find yourself thinking about all the time!  

It helps to acknowledge you're not the only one with this problem, hopefully one of those plates has got you and your needs on it, how are you feeling at the minute? Tired? Rundown? Overwhelmed? Short tempered?  Does your plate need attending before you bother with the others?  We all know self care is essential but we still ignore it sometimes, how can you change that?  How do we make healthy habits part of our routine?  This is my plan this afternoon, my dinner only needs warming up so I'm going to check my freezer and cupboards and do a plan for my meals for next week, I'm also going to do a plan to give the house a tidy through, starting with the living room because I can't even contemplate putting any decorations up unless I put it on top of the crap that's already there and that's not gonna happen ;) 

I'm gonna relax too though because that's important too, moms moods and behaviours dictates how and when I do things, but if I have a list of things I want to get done, I can then wait until the times good with mom and choose one thing off the list to get done.  Yeah I need a TO DO list to organise myself. 

Ooo writing this has made me feel better, we are in charge of our own destiny as uncomfortable as that might be sometimes to admit.

Here's to a great Sunday, I look forward to seeing some of you on my virtual workshop this morning 9-10, here's to spinning plates! 

Mwah, luv ya 

Love me xx

No comments: