Disclaimer!

Disclaimer
Beverley has prepared the content of Bev's World irresponsibly and carelessly. She therefore disclaims all warranties, express or implied, as to the accuracy, originality or completeness of the drivel presented on this blog or on other linked websites or on any subsequent links. She vehemently denies that the information may be relied upon for any reason. Beverley shall not be liable for inflicting laughter, shame, disgust, torrents of tears and the eventual desiccation or crashing boredom on readers.

Find me on facebook. https://www.facebook.com/BeHappyOwls or search for Be Happy Owls

Monday 4 September 2023

Making memories & faciing fears

Monday 4th September 2023
I've had the most wonderful weekend, it was a last minute decision and thankfully because Elle can and does cover the Saturday huddle for me, I'm able to do that.  I managed to book a lovely, quiet campsite just outside Abergele https://plasfarmcaravanpark.co.uk/.

Arriving within minutes of each other after horrid traffic, we agreed to try and find food in the local pub and we weren't disappointed, start of fishcake with poached egg and main of pie and chips, they had steak and ale, I opted for corned beef - nice.  I didn't eat it all, left a few chips and half the pastry but only because I was full, it was very tasty.  Back to the motorhome for a glass of wine in the warm evening and watching the sunset before watching the first two episodes of The Woman in the Wall on BBC1 (it's good) and asleep by ten (rock and roll lifestyle right there).


Saturday, awake by 6, and raring to go but we have a teenager so that doesn't happen early.  A bacon and egg sarnie to start our day and I sat ready the newspaper, it's been a while since I did that.  We drove into Llandudno, I noticed the sign for tobogganing so suggested we do that for starters, thinking if I want Aryn to walk round all day doing 'boring' stuff, we could start with some he wouldn't think was boring.  Having drove up the steep hill, we parked and got in the queue which was a good hour wait, with a delightful (NOT!) couple of children splashing in a muddy pool, now I'm all for kids having fun, but these weren't keeping the mud to themselves, the lad kicked it all up Aryn's trousers, then climbed the fence Aryn was sat on and kicked him with his foot leaving a foot mark of mud on his back, then the girl trod on my foot covering my new suede Van's in mud - grrr and of course not mention from the mom, but in the words of Aryn, it's not the kids fault, it's the parents lol.  

Anyway, the toboggan ride was fun, twice round, need to try the one in Swadlincote next, that looks fab.  We decided to leave the car where it was because we had a space and it was free and walk down to the Pier.  The idea was they'd walk up and fetch it later and meet me because of my pain, I managed to walk down the hill, it was hurting but not unbearable, I stopped at the bottom and sat for a moment to relieve the pain.  We were going to go on the cable cars but the queue was ridiculous, I was a little relieved as I'm scared of them, I'm frightened of heights and anything that goes slow like they do is just silliness, as Elle commented on a post yesterday, she's seen my fear of the chair lift at Dudley zoo and she confirms I'm a wuss lol.

We went on the Ferris wheel on the pier, I thought I was getting brave as last year in Stratford I was proper scared on that one, but then Aryn pointed out that this one was much smaller - damn, that burst my bubble.  It was okay though because I got to sit for 5 minutes and ease my pain!  We walked to the end of the pier, pain kicking back in and I suggested we sat and had a drink, the best half of lager I've ever had I think, when the sun's blazing and you're looking at the sea, life doesn't get much better.  

There was a Honda Goldwing festival on the front so we went to look at them, I managed half of them before having to sit because of the pain whilst they looked at the rest.  Next we went to look for food, ended up in Harvey's bar and grill, their choice, it was okay, burgers etc, I had a ciabatta with good fries, it did the job.  

Came out of there and said we'd walk to see if we could get on the tram, we could so I got to sit down again to ease the pain - result.  Once we were at the top of the Orme, we had a look round, I wanted to see the goats we'd seen from the toboggan run and they'd all disappeared.  We decided to walk down from there to the car park where we'd left car, we had an idea of where it was and assumed there'd be a way.  I just said, I'd have to keep sitting on the way down to ease the pain when it kicked it.  I can't explain how great it felt to be on the top of a hill enjoying the view, this is my 'thing' hiking has always been a passion and now I didn't walk up but I was here and I was willing to take the pain.   We started down and about fifteen minutes in, I started smiling because for some reason I wasn't in pain, even though we were walking down the hill, we were going up in places then coming down as it wasn't a straight path, we were following the sheep tracks.  This is the face of someone who had walked 30 minutes and wasn't in pain, I was buzzing looking at the view as we were halfway down the hill.  


It wasn't until we were about a hundred yards from the car that my pain started to kick in, I was elated!  I'd managed to walk an hour covering almost 2.5 miles without pain, thrilled doesn't even come close, it gives me hope that I can recover. 

The Nuffield joint pain programme is really helping, I'm so glad I signed up.  I also got to see some goats up the hill and as we drove round the headland, how cool are they, I want a goat ;) 



Once back at the campsite we had a relaxing night, again enjoying the sunshine before another early night.

Sunday, the plan was to drive into Llandudno and try and get on the rib boat ride, unfortunately when we got there it wasn't open and no sign of what time it would be, so we decided to drive towards where they were going to be doing the zip wire that afternoon.  I'd booked it Friday and the only available time was 2.40pm, so we had all day to fill.  Whilst driving, I thought I'd have a check to see if there was a way I could add me on, for some reason  a thought came over me that I should consider doing it.  Unfortunately the 2.40pm slot was full, bugga.  I then put in 3 people and it showed that they had a 12 noon slot available, so I called and asked if it would be possible to move their slot and add me on which they did.  WHY?  What came over me, I'd done it now, I wasn't even forced to do it but a voice inside me said, come on Bev, you've spent a decade not being able to do things, feel the fear and do it anyway.  

Once there and all kitted up, it turned out we did two zip wires, the first a shorter one, I wasn't sure this was a good idea because what if I hated it, I wasn't going to agree to do the second one.  Too much time hanging around, waiting, overthinking!  We got to the start of the first thing, we were the first in, but it turned out we were the last to do the zip, so we sat watching them all go down.  I'm watching them strap them up, doing the safety check, looking at the 'beds' they lie one whilst this is being done, thinking to myself that they looked like hospital beds! You lie on them as they attach all the wires, then they drop down leaving you hanging in mid air - deep breathes.  We were told that there would be quite a jolt at the bottom, but it was smoother on the big zip.   They said 3 words in Welsh which I think was either 3, 2, 1 or ready, set, go (or maybe something sarcastic like prepare to die!) and away we went!  It wasn't as scary as I expected once we were off and I'd actually enjoyed it when we stopped.  Now to do the 15 minute drive up the quarry for the next one, this again was too much time to think about it, realise how high you were going, overthink everything, you know 'what if it breaks', 'what if I die', the usual stuff.  This time we were the 3rd or 4th to go, it seems to take so long to get you hitched up with all the safety check and you're looking over this huge quarry lake from a height of 500 metres and you know you're about to go at over 100mph and not only that but you've paid to do it - WHY!  Here's the link to the video, 


Once it started though, I have to admit, it was amazing, the views, the smoothness of it all, the speed, the fact you are down before you know it, makes it one incredible experience and I'm so glad I did it.  

We finished off our weekend with food at the 1085 bistro in Llanberis because tripadvisor gave it 5/5 and we weren't disappointed, the burger Aryn and I ordered were huge and absolutely delicious, I couldn't eat it all, himself helped and I left most of the chips, but I did leave room for lemon tart leaving most of the pastry on that.  

 

A wonderful weekend all round, couldn't fault anything, we celebrated 2 years since he knocked my door and the end of the summer holidays in style.  

The scales will say what they scales will say tomorrow, I really don't mind because I had a great time!  

Here's to making lots more memories with my two favourite people, Aryn and I chatted and laughed all the way home as himself drove back to work in the motorhome, roll on the weekend. 

Mwah, luv you 

love me


No comments: