Disclaimer!

Disclaimer
Beverley has prepared the content of Bev's World irresponsibly and carelessly. She therefore disclaims all warranties, express or implied, as to the accuracy, originality or completeness of the drivel presented on this blog or on other linked websites or on any subsequent links. She vehemently denies that the information may be relied upon for any reason. Beverley shall not be liable for inflicting laughter, shame, disgust, torrents of tears and the eventual desiccation or crashing boredom on readers.

Find me on facebook. https://www.facebook.com/BeHappyOwls or search for Be Happy Owls

Sunday 17 March 2019

Happy St Patrick's Day

Sunday 17th March 2019
And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.


I'd already made my mind up I was walking with my brother this morning whether it was raining or not, I need it.  Having just read Wolves won, I'm hoping my brother didn't celebrate too much and will still be coming with me! 

Yesterday was a really good day, started with a wonderful workshop, I do love my Saturday mornings, I know I've said it before but it is a lovely way to start my weekend, surrounded by my tribe.

Mom and I sat and watched 'Bounty Hunters' the whole second series is available and when she shows interest, I take full advantage of that situation, it is funny and I do love a bit of Jack Whitehall.

I did a bit of my circle crochet before realising I'd like to finish the baby blanket this weekend so I went back to doing that.  

This was our main meal, 16SP of delicious, those are big chunky cod fish fingers, 5SP for 3 and so worth it, mom loved it too which is always a bonus, I had to laugh at the nutritional info on the box the chips were in 'serves 3' REALLY!  Well not in our house they didn't. 



It's St Patricks Day today, the day when lots of men decide they have some Irish in them somewhere as an excuse to drink Guinness and get legless, although what's not to love about a good pint of Guinness.  They have some delicious food too, Irish stew and colcannon being two I love.  Now I've always used lamb in my Irish stew but this WW recipe uses beef, I'm assuming to save points. 

Irish Stew - 5SP per serving

2:40 minutes Total Time
0:20 minutes Preparation Time
2:40 minutes Cook Time
Serves 4 people
Difficulty Level: Easy
This easy one-pot meal is a perfect warming recipe for a cold night.

Calorie controlled cooking spray
500g beef stewing steak, lean, raw, cut into chunks 9SP
I large onion, chopped
2 medium carrots, cut into chunks
2 medium leeks, sliced 
1 1/2 beef oxo cubes make up to 700ml hot water 1SP
400g potatoes, raw, cut into chunks 10SP
50g frozen or fresh peas
2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
salt and pepper 

  1. Heat cooking spray in a large saucepan then add the stewing steak a little at a time, so that it sears and browns.
  2. Add the onion, carrots, leeks and stock. Season with a little salt and pepper. Bring to the boil then reduce the heat and simmer, partially covered for 2 hours. Check the level of liquid occasionally adding more stock if needed.
  3. When the meat is tender add the potatoes and cook them until tender – about 20 minutes. Stir the peas into the stew and cook gently for another 3-4 minutes. Serve sprinkled with chopped fresh parsley.

Now that would be lush to come home to a big bowl full.  Or if you want to spend a few more points why not go the whole hog and make this one for 16SP a bowl if made with leg, if you use shoulder (OUCH!)  it'd be 21SP - I bet it would be immense though and if you had zero stuff for most of the day, you absolutely could have it, blow your weeklies on a few Guiness and be Irish for a few hours ;) 

Irish stew

PREP: 30 MINSCOOK: 2 HRS

EASY 

SERVES 6 


The trick with this classic one-pot is to use a cheaper cut of meat, which means you’ll skimp on price but not quality

1 tbsp sunflower oil (4SP)
200g smoked streaky bacon, preferably in one piece, skinned and cut into chunks (28SP)
900g stewing lamb , cut into large chunks (40SP for lean leg lamb) (shoulder would be 70SP!)
5 medium onions , sliced
carrots , sliced into chunks
3 bay leaves
small bunch thyme
100g pearl barley (11SP)
850ml lamb stock (3 lamb oxo cubes are 1SP) 
6 medium potatoes , cut into chunks (400g is 10SP)
small knob of butter (4SP)
spring onions , finely sliced

Method
Heat oven to 160C/fan 140C/gas 3. Heat the oil in a flameproof casserole. Sizzle the bacon for 4 mins until crisp. Turn up the heat, then cook the lamb for 6 mins until brown. Remove the meats with a slotted spoon. Add the onions, carrots and herbs to the pan, then cook for about 5 mins until softened. Return the meat to the pan, stir in the pearl barley, pour over the stock, then bring to a simmer.

Sit the chunks of potato on top of the stew, cover, then braise in the oven, undisturbed, for about 1½ hrs until the potatoes are soft and the meat is tender. The stew can now be chilled and kept in the fridge for 2 days, then reheated in a low oven or on top of the stove. Remove from the oven, dot the potatoes with butter, scatter with the spring onions and serve scooped straight from the dish.

Heres another recipe for a slow cooker version, I'm not pointing that one though. https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/slow-cooked-irish-stew 

I'm off to get mom sorted so I can enjoy a few hours of outdoors, whatever you're up too - enjoy, I so want a stew now!  

Have a very, great day, 

and remember....

Stay BeYOUtiful! 
'------'
(O,O)
/)__)
   ""

No comments: