Disclaimer!

Disclaimer
Beverley has prepared the content of Bev's World irresponsibly and carelessly. She therefore disclaims all warranties, express or implied, as to the accuracy, originality or completeness of the drivel presented on this blog or on other linked websites or on any subsequent links. She vehemently denies that the information may be relied upon for any reason. Beverley shall not be liable for inflicting laughter, shame, disgust, torrents of tears and the eventual desiccation or crashing boredom on readers.

Find me on facebook. https://www.facebook.com/BeHappyOwls or search for Be Happy Owls

Monday 15 April 2013

If hunger is not the problem, then why eat?

15th April 2013
 
“If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.”
Oh I do love a good quote, if you read my blog you’ll already know that, quotes and affirmations have helped me a great deal over the years, to think I can be so inspired by one sentence is phenomenal. I love the wisdom of people and how they get me to think about something with just a few words.
And the quote at the top of this page is so true, because if you sit with a huge bowl of crisps because you’ve got a problem and eating them is distracting you for a few minutes, by the time you get to the bottom of the bowl – whatever you’re trying to ignore is still there only now you’ve just eaten a large bowl of crisps and probably feel a bit sick too!
I used to do it all the time, you know how it goes, you go open the fridge to check the light still works and stare, gazing mindlessly into the abyss, now depending on how bad your problem is and where what mind frame of your diet you are in will depend on whether you close the door and walk away or grab something, eat it and return ten minutes later for a repeat performance!
So if you play the ‘what’s in the fridge’ game a lot, then it might be time to address why?  Cos I’m guessing hunger hasn’t got a fat lot to do with the reason!  Are you Bored? Lonely? Stressed? Unhappy? Nervous? Apprehensive? Excited? Tired?
Now I’m a foodie, I’m also an emotional eater, so learning the difference between the two eating behaviours for me is vital.  I love to eat, no seriously do you understand quite how much I love the whole experience of food, planning/shopping/cooking/preparing/eating/talking about it!  All of it, everything that goes into experiencing food makes me happy, and it’s a bit of a hobby.  However I know I can do all this and lead a realistic life which includes this pastime but doesn’t mean I have to gain weight because I eat constantly.  A stamp collector doesn’t spend 24 hours a day collecting stamps and I don’t have to spend my entire day eating food!
However the emotional eating side of it is harder to nail down and control, a great place to start is a journal, tracking everything you eat but also your reasons for doing so.  Asking yourself if you are emotionally eating is it helping you at all.  Writing it all down will help you remember your actions but also give you time to think about them too.
I believe for long term weight loss success, it’s important to realise that you are completely free to choose what food you eat, but if you want to be healthy and take care of yourself, then there has to be a level of ‘self care’ involved and you need to realise that each food decision you make has either a positive or negative effect on your health, and there is no right or wrong, good or bad.  The food you choose to eat sometimes might have an undesirable effect on your body but you like the taste some much you will choose to eat it anyway, and that’s ok if you’re doing it occasionally – if you’re choosing to eat that way all the time then you know it’s going to have a negative effect on your body which in turn will have a negative effect on your mood.
So how do you stop the emotional eating?  I don’t know lol, I still do it ;) just not as often, and when I’m doing it I’m aware of that fact.  Mostly though if I find myself emotionally eating, I face the problem!  I acknowledge the issue and feel the emotion, rather than trying to quash it down with a doughnut or two.  Some things are easier to sort than others, if I’m stressed - I’ll go for a walk to calm myself down, if I’m tired – I’ll go to bed, if I’m sad or a bit down – I’ll watch a comedy.  If I’m overwhelmed by the dump that is my house – I’ll make myself tidy it up!  And if it’s a bigger life issue then I’ll work out what needs to change – that’s the real scary one but it’s doable – honest. Xx
Yeah when I eat these days, 98% of the time it’s because I’ve thought about it, planned it and I’m hungry.  The other 2% I’m still working on.
 
 

No comments: