Disclaimer!

Disclaimer
Beverley has prepared the content of Bev's World irresponsibly and carelessly. She therefore disclaims all warranties, express or implied, as to the accuracy, originality or completeness of the drivel presented on this blog or on other linked websites or on any subsequent links. She vehemently denies that the information may be relied upon for any reason. Beverley shall not be liable for inflicting laughter, shame, disgust, torrents of tears and the eventual desiccation or crashing boredom on readers.

Find me on facebook. https://www.facebook.com/BeHappyOwls or search for Be Happy Owls

Friday 8 July 2011

Winning the race...

8th July 2011

Whenever you feel like giving up, remember why you held on for so long in the first place.
Yesterday when driving to my meeting I saw a little boy riding his bike with such determination, like he had to got faster, he had to win although he wasn’t actually racing against anyone but himself.  Now that’s the kind of drive and determination we all need to succeed with anything in our lives, to do things as if your life depended on them.  Where losing weight is concerned to choose to say no occasionally because it was important to you because saying no or making a different choice on that one occasion will impact the outcome of your week and not because you feel you have no choice or you’re doing it under duress.

Yes the look on that little boys face is one I intend to practice this week, well not exactly the same look ;D but the same passion and enthusiasm that was behind it.
I managed another 29pp day yesterday, had cherries and a cup of tea instead of my usual glass of wine, I’m focusing on how much food I can eat if I forgo my wine and it’s working, plus I’ve had two cracking nights sleep. 

Earlier this week I bought a bag of chips as I wanted to see how much they weighed and would work out at – purely research of course!  So the chippy at new invention worked out at approximately 32-35pp, the bag weighed over 500g and I’d had a few out on the drive home.  That was a regular portion £1.35 which should give you an idea for future trips to the chip shop. 
Busy day ahead, then a night out so need to be sensible with my pp today then I’ll have plenty for tonight, sat eating tub of cherries for breakfast they were reduced in the Tesco garage last night and very nice they are too, think they taste better when they’re cheap.

It looks like my internet connection is playing up so let’s hope it works long enough to post my blog.  If not I’ll have to post it later.  My brains on a bit of a go slow this morning, I think it’s rebelling because it knows I have a lot to do and Fridays usually my take it easy day ;D

I’ve just remembered I was going to give you sandwich spread ideas this week and only did it Monday and Tuesday I think, so here’s Wednesday thru Friday ideas;

Roasted Garlic Spread
Roasting brings out garlic cloves' natural sweetness, making them an excellent partner for roast beef or cheese sandwiches.

Easy prep: Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 4/180°C/350°F. Remove the papery outer skin of a bulb of garlic, and with a paring knife or kitchen scissors, trim the tips of each clove. Place whole bulb on a piece of foil and drizzle with ½ teaspoon olive oil, then wrap in the foil, place in the oven and roast until cloves are tender when pierced with the tip of a knife, about 1 hour. Allow bulb to cool several minutes, then, using an oven mitt to protect your hands, turn bulb over and squeeze the softened cloves from bulb into a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Have leftovers? Stir cloves in with boiled potatoes and mash them together for extra flavour without extra fat, or mash and stir into soup for extra body and flavour.

Carrot-Ginger Spread
A nod to the classic Japanese salad dressing, this spread is delicious with tuna salad or lean roast beef sandwiches.

Easy prep: Toss into the bowl of a food processor 5 medium carrots (cut into large pieces), 1 small shallot, 2 pieces peeled fresh ginger (about 1 by 1½ inches each), 2 tablespoons soy sauce, 2 tablespoons water, 1 tablespoon seasoned rice vinegar, and 1 tablespoon vegetable oil. Pulse to a paste.

Have leftovers? It still makes salad greens irresistible. To convert to a dressing, whisk in an additional tablespoon oil, 2 tablespoons rice vinegar, and 1 tablespoon soy sauce.

Salsa Giardiniera
A quick and easy way to add a spicy Italian tang to any meat sandwich.

Easy prep: Puree 200g giardiniera/pickled vegetables (make sure to remove any stems from hot peppers) with 225g canned drained white beans or chick peas.

Have leftovers? Stir into houmous for a burst of tanginess.

Horseradish Mustard
These two sandwich greats add a serious kick to any combination, and the 'recipe' is simple as can be.

Easy prep: Stir 1 tablespoon drained horseradish into 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard.

Have leftovers? This tangy combo makes a great dressing for warm potato salad. Boil six quartered new potatoes until very tender; drain and place in a large bowl. Add 1 teaspoon white vinegar, 1 teaspoon olive oil, ½ teaspoon salt and freshly ground black pepper and toss to combine. Then stir in 2 teaspoons of horseradish mustard and a handful of chopped fresh sugar snap peas. Serve warm.

Well that’s me for today, enjoy the rain xx












No comments: