Disclaimer!

Disclaimer
Beverley has prepared the content of Bev's World irresponsibly and carelessly. She therefore disclaims all warranties, express or implied, as to the accuracy, originality or completeness of the drivel presented on this blog or on other linked websites or on any subsequent links. She vehemently denies that the information may be relied upon for any reason. Beverley shall not be liable for inflicting laughter, shame, disgust, torrents of tears and the eventual desiccation or crashing boredom on readers.

Find me on facebook. https://www.facebook.com/BeHappyOwls or search for Be Happy Owls

Tuesday 26 October 2021

All about making memories

Tuesday 26th October 2021
Don't stand in your own way.

Well I had a great weekend involving driving lots of miles, being stuck on the M25 at 7/8am on a Monday morning ain't something I'd want to do often but it was worth it to see my brother Terry and his wife Alexis, we had a wonderful, long lunch and a great catch up.   The Travelodge bed was comfy too, so at least I got a good nights sleep, I was still tired when I got back, it was great to see Alfie had been absolutely fine with Carol, he didn't even jump off the settee or bark when I walked in!  Such a relief to have someone who he likes and who is amazing and will look after him for me in my house, how blessed am I!

It was nice not to have to think about the dog for 24 hours, he hasn't been far from my side since mom died in March, he woke me up at 4am this morning, wouldn't mind but he didn't go up the garden so I think that was payback!  

Right last week in our huddles we talked motivation!  Why are the members there, why do they want to lose weight, whats it all about, I loved that there were so many reasons, most coming from a place of positivity and self love.  Our members are much more relaxed in their approach, accepting it's for life these changes, not just a quick fix.

Everything from getting back into clothes, to health reasons, to wanting to be able to skydive!  We then looked at what we needed to focus on to make it all happen, for some it was planning, others tracking, maybe adding a little activity or sorting out the kitchen so it was healthy to start with. 

The kitchen sorting is me!  I was led astray on Saturday, buying bloomin popcorn and ice cream, I never buy that stuff at home, especially when I saw the price of Ben and Jerry's etc, £5 a tub, what is that all about!  Well I ended up with a small bowl of Haagen Daaz rum with biscuit ice cream which was possibly the best sweet thing I've eaten in a very, very long time, it was incredible!  I was impressed with myself for only having a small bowl and putting the rest in the freezer.  266 calories for 100g, so not bad, a little of what you fancy does you good.  Unfortunately I think I might have had too much of what I fancy this week, so the scales might not go down this morning! 

It's not a race, I've had a lovely weekend making memories, it was the first time I've eaten inside a pub since before lockdown, we've eaten in the pub garden but not inside, the food was delicious too, pork is fast becoming my favourite choice of meat and I never used to eat it at all! 

The heating is turned up this morning, I'm not showering until this house is warm enough to take clothes off!  That's another first for me this year, I don't usually bother with the heating in the morning, but being woke up at 4am is not a great way to start your day, especially when the little shih tzu is fast asleep again now!  Thankfully I had an early night so I've had seven and a half hours.  

With it being Halloween this weekend, I've found a recipe for pumpkin soup to use up all that flesh, only 5 ingredients and can be cooked in the slow cooker, here it is; 

Crockpot Pumpkin Soup (5 Ingredients!)
Creamy crockpot pumpkin soup is velvety smooth and delicious. It's just what you crave on a cool fall evening!

Prep Time 15 minutes Cook Time 4 hours    Servings 8 servings Calories 109kcal

Ingredients
1 small pumpkin, around 2 pounds, scrubbed clean (see note)
1 small onion, roughly chopped
2 medium Russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks
4 cups vegetable broth
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon kosher salt
½ teaspoon pepper

Optional Flavour Add-ins:
1 tablespoon chili powder, or to taste, for a zesty pumpkin soup. Add a dash of cayenne or red pepper flakes, for added spiciness
1 tablespoon curry powder and ¼ cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice and a couple tablespoons of maple syrup or honey
1 teaspoon orange or lemon zest and 1/4 cup juice instead of the cream + 1 teaspoon of ginger, if desired
1 -2 peeled and chopped apples - cook with the rest of the ingredients, stir in a teaspoon of cinnamon with the cream

Instructions
1. Cut the pumpkin in half and remove seeds with edge of a spoon. Cut into 2-inch chunks, roughly the same size.
2. Add pumpkin, onion, and potatoes to the slow cooker, along with vegetable broth, salt and pepper. Cook on low for 7-8 hours, or on high for 4 hours.
3. After the soup is cooked, carefully use an immersion blender to blend the soup until smooth. To avoid splatters, partially cover the crockpot with a clean towel while you process the soup.
4. Slowly stir in the heavy cream. Adjust seasonings, and serve.


Notes
Pumpkin peel: You can leave the peel on the pumpkin for this soup! It will soften and puree with the rest of the soup ingredients. It's so easy!
Diary-free or vegan: Use coconut milk or apple cider instead of heavy cream. 
Make ahead tip: cut up pumpkin, potatoes, and onion the night before. Put the pumpkin and onions in a zip top bag. Cover the potatoes with water so they don't get discoloured.

Nutrition
Serving: 1 of 8 | Calories: 109kcal | 
Carbohydrates: 13g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 17mg | Sodium: 608mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 3g



On that note, I'm off to get ready for my day, looking forward to seeing everyone at the huddles this week.  

Mwah, luv ya 

Love me xx

No comments: