Disclaimer!

Disclaimer
Beverley has prepared the content of Bev's World irresponsibly and carelessly. She therefore disclaims all warranties, express or implied, as to the accuracy, originality or completeness of the drivel presented on this blog or on other linked websites or on any subsequent links. She vehemently denies that the information may be relied upon for any reason. Beverley shall not be liable for inflicting laughter, shame, disgust, torrents of tears and the eventual desiccation or crashing boredom on readers.

Find me on facebook. https://www.facebook.com/BeHappyOwls or search for Be Happy Owls

Tuesday 25 February 2020

Why move and eat well?

Tuesday 25th February 2020
Today I will focus on what matters and let go of what clearly doesn't.


Not gonna lie, I wasn't ready to get out of bed this morning but I gotta go to work soI did, moms had a dreadful night, she was still wide awake, sitting up doing crosswords at 2am!  I've slept but its been disturbed because I'm aware of her going to and from the bathroom, talking to Alfie, sorting through her cupboard drawers, doing the things she does when she can't sleep.  She's asleep now though lol. 

Yesterday was quite a calm day though, although she's getting worse on her legs, she almost tripped over, her right leg keeps seizing, this getting old lark sucks for sure.

I'm trying to work on myself to ensure I don't end up quite as bad, I think it's just this minute hit me that this is why I want to lose weight but also get my mobility as good as it can be.  Seeing mom, writing about her, but also listening to the things being said in the Body Groove videos, in Sunday's video she'd got us on the floor, rocking side to side on our sit bone and getting us to massage our butt cheeks, then in one dance yesterday she was taking about moving those hips and how important it is to keep the range of movement in hip bones because they are so important to our movement and as we age we don't want to lose that.  SO TRUE! 

Now as I told a friend when we were having a conversation yesterday, I just don't enjoy exercise usually it's too formal and boring and I'm always waiting for it to finish. Plus it hurts! The difference with this body groove is there are no rules, it's short too, 20-30 minutes and she tells you to stop if it hurts. Not going to lie, I am still keeping my eye on the time but more because of mom. What I realised afterwards when I was thinking about why I like this as opposed to other stuff I've tried, I realised it's because I can be a perfectionist, when I'm learning to do something I want to do it well, to be good at it, to get it 'right' but with this you can't get it wrong, I'm not trying to copy the instructor, I'm actually not looking at her half the time because she tells you not too, also because I'm not being watched by anyone, I'm letting go 100% and really getting lost in my own head (and body) and I'm really enjoying it.

I've also just started reading a book called Food rules by Michael Pollan, I'm only at the start but I sort of know the gist before I start, he sums it up in one sentence 'Eat food, not too much, mainly plants'. Obviously he's had to add more pages to sell! 

I always say to my members that nutrition science is a very young science in comparison to others, so the 'expert's are still learning (which is why WW change it's plans over time), well according to the book it got started less than 200 years ago, so is approximately where surgery was in the year 1650 - WOW, look how far surgery's come since then, just goes to show there's so much to learn.  

I love the one chapter (I've flicked through the book already), again it's simple, just a title and a couple of sentences but I agree totally, this is it.

Avoid food ingredients containing ingredients that a third-grader cannot pronounce.
Basically the same idea, different mnemonic.  Keep it simple.

Do you read the ingredients on things you buy? 

What do you think this is from?
Ingredients
Noodles (Water, Wheat Flour (with added Calcium, Iron, Niacin, Thiamin), Palm Oil, Antioxidants (Butylated Hydroxyanisole, Citric Acid, Propyl Gallate)), Glucose Syrup, Salt, Flavour Enhancers (Monosodium Glutamate, Disodium 5'-Ribonucleotides), Flavouring, Onion, Garlic, Potassium Chloride, Yeast Extract, Maltodextrin, Ground Turmeric, Acid (Malic Acid), Parsley, Black Pepper Extract
Straight away looking at that I'm thinking what is Butylated Hydroxyanisole and Ribonucleotides!  When I googled them and one said Butylated Hydroxyanisole is a synthetic antioxidant used to preserve fats and oils in foods, medicinal drugs, and cosmetics and Ribonucleotides is is a nucleotide containing ribose as its pentose component. It is considered a molecular precursor of nucleic acids. Nucleotides are the basic building blocks of DNA and RNA. The monomer itself from ribonucleotides forms the basic building blocks for RNA.
Course it is!  I'm none the wiser! 
Now my breakfast yesterday was 
100% melon
100% Organic Agave Nectar
but I'm surprised to find out that the yogurt had things I can't pronounce!  
Ingredients
Pasteurised Skimmed Milk, Live Active Yoghurt Cultures (L. Bulgaricus, S. Thermophilus, L. Acidophilus, Bifidus, L. Casei)

Now that argues his rule but I think we both get where he's coming from, eat natural stuff, not the chemical things, I checked my spread when I bought some Sunday, I usually buy the lowest in calories but I went for the one that had ingredients I knew what they were. 

Oh the first set of ingredients were to a packet of super noodles if you were interested, I don't buy stuff like that anymore, I'll buy noodles and add my own flavourings but I do try to steer clear of Processed food as much as possible, I am still guilty of occasionally indulging though, I'm not gonna lie, it's convenient and tasty.  At least I'm making some changes. 

Now this gem I had for my dinner, it wasn't low in points, 14SP in half, but if you served it with cauliflower rice, thats a decent amount for a main meal, it was super filling too and absolutely delicious, 

oh and the ingredients, all foods you'd recognise and be able to pronounce!  I will definitely be checking out their Plant Kitchen range, this was in the meal deal for £12, main, side, desert and wine, gotta be done, you can choose the healthier option, I had this, chunky chips as my side but will have them as a meal on their own with egg, maybe a few beans, then desert they have grapes and wine - well it doesn't go off! I'll save the white of for the first sunny day I can sit in the garden.

That's your challenge today, start looking at your food choices, check the ingredients, if you have Pancakes today, the recipe is simple, https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/easy-pancakes I've worked these out at 2SP each if I use skimmed milk (it's the only milk I buy) but them ready made they'll include things like Stabiliser Guar Gum then there's the plastic it comes in.  It ain't hard to make pancakes and it's fun, actually I think I might make mom some today, need lemon juice, not sure I have any, but we can live without it, I'm sure she'll be happy with syrup! 

Right I need to move my ass and get ready for work, I'm okay about having to get out of bed now, I've had my cuppa, I've got me some water and I'm ready for a very great day - are you?

Mwah, luv ya

Love me xx



No comments: