Disclaimer!

Disclaimer
Beverley has prepared the content of Bev's World irresponsibly and carelessly. She therefore disclaims all warranties, express or implied, as to the accuracy, originality or completeness of the drivel presented on this blog or on other linked websites or on any subsequent links. She vehemently denies that the information may be relied upon for any reason. Beverley shall not be liable for inflicting laughter, shame, disgust, torrents of tears and the eventual desiccation or crashing boredom on readers.

Find me on facebook. https://www.facebook.com/BeHappyOwls or search for Be Happy Owls

Sunday 8 January 2012

nom, nom, nom, nom....

8th January 2012

Tomorrow hopes that we have learned something from yesterday. John Wayne
(& so are you!)

I love Sundays don’t you?  And I love them even more when I’ve either got nothing at all to do or when the things I have planned are things I really want to do and today’s on of those Sundays.  I enjoyed yesterday too, me and Alfie walked 2½ miles then went straight out and ran for 30 minutes, so I started my day feeling good.  I cleared my desk off, cooked a batch of grey peas and gammon bits and I went shopping for lots of ingredients to do some cooking and fill my freezer.   

For my tea I had an ‘innocent Indian daal veg pot’ which was very tasty and 8pp but seeing how easy it is to make my own curry (recipe below) I don’t think I’d buy one again unless I was in a hurry.

Rachel posted on our fb page last night a photo of some frozen steamed rice from Farm Foods that she couldn’t believe was as low as the nutritional info worked it out at, and we deducted in the end that it was a misprint because however you looked at it a 270g bag on rice and veg couldn’t work out to 3pp when 100g cooked rice is 4pp.  A misprint on the packaging I think, so always remember if something looks to good to be true, it usually is.  Well spotted though Rachel.

So back to my cooking session, these are my choices and I can cook them all over the next few weeks, if not today. 

Blue cheese and broccoli pasta bake (recipe folder)
chick pea & courgette kofte (page 172 – the complete cookbook)
chicken and bacon casserole (recipe folder)
Chicken tagine with apricots an almonds (recipe folder)
Italian chicken braise (page 216 – the complete cookbook)
Chicken breasts stuffed olive and cheese (page 146 – the complete cookbook)

Now I’ve been after a recipe for a good chicken curry for a while from two of my helpers on a Wednesday night and Harjit has finally sent it me, so here it is if you fancy having a go at making a good home made curry.  I’m assuming the amount of garlic and ginger used will be left to you to decide!  I’ve worked it out that at most that recipe is only 16pp! 

Recipe for Chicken Curry

2-3 teaspoons Olive Oil (3-4pp)
4 Onions
Garlic
Ginger
1-2 (3-4 if you like it spicy) Green Chilli
2 teaspoons Jeera (Cumin Seeds)
1-2 teaspoons Haldi (Tumeric)
½ large can Tomatoes (Blended)
1-2 teaspoons Salt
1 teaspoon Garam Masala
500g chicken breast (12pp)
Fresh Coriander (Optional)

Method:
1. Heat oil in saucepan and add chopped onions & salt.
2. After 5-10 mins add garlic, ginger, chilli & jeera (cumin seeds)
3. Cook for around 20 mins if onions start sticking to the pan add water.
4. Once onions are browned and softened add 1-2 teaspoons of haldi (Tumeric), cook for around 10 mins until the colouring separates from the onions.
5. Once the above has cooked add half a tin of tomatoes and cook for around 5-10 mins.
6. When tomatoes have blended in with the onions add chicken, cook chicken for about 10 mins and then add boiled water and simmer until water has thickened and chicken is tender.
7. Once chicken has cooked add garam masala and stir and garnish with fresh coriander.
8. Serve with (add the extra ProPoints of course) basmati rice (60g dried = 6pp)  & chappati's (average size 55g - made with fat 6pp, without fat 3pp) or naan breads (vary in pp) & natural yogurt.

The base is the same for every curry so you can add vegetables if required.

Serves around 6-7.

---

I will lose some weight, and enjoy my food at the same time. Will you?

No comments: