Disclaimer!

Disclaimer
Beverley has prepared the content of Bev's World irresponsibly and carelessly. She therefore disclaims all warranties, express or implied, as to the accuracy, originality or completeness of the drivel presented on this blog or on other linked websites or on any subsequent links. She vehemently denies that the information may be relied upon for any reason. Beverley shall not be liable for inflicting laughter, shame, disgust, torrents of tears and the eventual desiccation or crashing boredom on readers.

Find me on facebook. https://www.facebook.com/BeHappyOwls or search for Be Happy Owls

Wednesday 30 August 2023

What should we eat?

Wednesday 20th August 2023
Who's up for mastering the day ahead?  

I gained a pound yesterday, I'm not surprised at all and I've taken it on the chin ready to restart, we went out twice for food, I had cheese and potato pie twice with too much cheese, but I'm feeling sluggish so I've had enough of over indulgence and want some goodness back in my life.

We may be eating out today but that's okay if we do, I can choose an healthy option, I want some fish - without batter on it.  I really fancy some pasta, rice, veggies, mmm I'm going to check what we still have in the freezer and cupboards and plan some meals for the next few days.  

Next time I go shopping, I'll have a list but I'd like to last the week without doing a big shop because we've had a quiet month at work so Elle and I are low on our wages, at least it's helping us eat less.  

Although that's not strictly true is it because you can buy 'cheaper' food which isn't so good for you, like I mentioned yesterday about the Ultra Processed Food, the Co-op £5 meal being that kind of food.  Turns out baked beans come under the UPF banner too which is so misleading to someone trying to make good choices.  Sometimes you have to use your common sense.    

A can of baked beans are low in fat and sugar (even with the added sugar), and are a source of fibre. Half a large tin counts as one of your five-a-day and contains as much protein as a large egg.  They're deemed ultra-processed as they contain modified corn flour, spice and herb extracts.  They also contain minerals such as iron, zinc and B vitamins. They contain some added salt, but versions with no added sugar are available.

There are also a handful of UPF that have benefits, these include wholegrain breakfast cereals with no added sugar these are fortified with vitamins and minerals such as B vitamins, calcium and iron, helping you reach your recommended daily intake, and are a source of fibre, which can contribute to cardiovascular health, normal bowel function, gut health and regulation of blood glucose levels.

Pre-packaged wholegrain sliced bread is another – wholegrains are packed with nutrients, including fibre, protein, B vitamins, antioxidants, calcium and iron. A diet rich in wholegrains has been shown to reduce the risk of many chronic health conditions, and helps us reach our target of 30g of fibre a day.

Unsweetened soy or plant-based drinks can be ultra-processed. If choosing versions fortified with vitamins and minerals, these drinks may provide a similar amount of calcium to cow’s milk, promoting bone health. Fortified plant-based drinks can also contain B vitamins, iodine and Vitamin D.

Yeah use your common sense, baked beans are low in calories, looking at the info below,  beef mince isn't a processed food but it has more calories per 100g, higher fat and sat fat, yes it may be lower in sugar and salt but which is 'healthier'?  You decide!  

  
                    100g baked beans                  100g  beef mince 10% fat   100g beef mince 20% fat     


A little common sense is required here I think, beef may not be processed but red meat isn't something you should be eating all the time!  

Pizza?  Well I'm trying to justify this now as Aryn eats them!

  

The whole thing is 784 calories, which isn't too much for a meal if that's all he's having, the fat content is high at 32.3 and 15.3 for saturated fat BUT.... I'm just looking at nutracheck and my 'guide' for fat per day is 59.7g, saturated fat 18.7g, so if all I had with fat in it that day was the pizza and I ate healthy for the rest of the day, surely it wouldn't be an issue and damn that pizza if filling me up physically, hell it's satisfying me emotionally too.  Yep, it's all about balance, a bowl of porridge or a couple of weetabix for breakfast, a sandwich for lunch made with wholegrain bread and you're well within daily guidelines as you can see below.  

Add some fruit and veggies, some salad on the sandwich, maybe a bit of diced pepper, mushroom and some sweetcorn on your pizza, a banana with your breakfast and happy days, you've found some balance. 

Of course sharing that pizza between two people with a load of salad on the other half of the plate, maybe some potato wedges with it, this is all another option.  I'm still getting 2 pizzas and ice cream from coop for a fiver!  The ice cream of course is a treat not a daily must have. 

Now for me to go practice what I preach!  I fancy sardines on toast, I only have white bread in the kitchen though which I don't want, I could have them with eggs I guess.  We shall see, I don't want too much this morning, especially if we do go out for lunch. 

Here's to mastering the day ahead...

Mwah, luv ya 

Love me x

 





No comments: