Disclaimer!

Disclaimer
Beverley has prepared the content of Bev's World irresponsibly and carelessly. She therefore disclaims all warranties, express or implied, as to the accuracy, originality or completeness of the drivel presented on this blog or on other linked websites or on any subsequent links. She vehemently denies that the information may be relied upon for any reason. Beverley shall not be liable for inflicting laughter, shame, disgust, torrents of tears and the eventual desiccation or crashing boredom on readers.

Find me on facebook. https://www.facebook.com/BeHappyOwls or search for Be Happy Owls

Wednesday 16 May 2012

Small or Large - You mean XL or XXL!

15th May 2012

“Judge nothing, you will be happy. Forgive everything, you will be happier. Love everything, you will be happiest.” ~Sri Chinmoy
Seriously, have we all totally lost the concept of portion sizes?  Don’t get me wrong, I’m a big eater, it’s what caused my weight problem in the first place, I can eat a lot, especially if it tastes nice.  I do however know that the amount I can eat is too much and not the norm.  Last night in my meeting I showed a trifle from Tesco to my members as I was impressed that it was 6pp per serving and the dish served 3, a good few of them said it would only serve one or two of them in their house.  Then on my way home I decided to treat myself to chips after my 2 ½ lb weight loss this week I was feeling rather pleased with myself - I have to be careful now because I usually get smug about my loss and eat too much the following week and gain it back!

Anyway I stop at the chip shop, I’d just found out there was a battered chips shop round the corner from my venue so I wanted to try them, luckily they weren’t amazing and the staff were rude so I won’t be returning.  But anyway to the point, he asked if I wanted small (£1.30) or large (£1.80), obviously I said small and then I stood and watched him shovel at least 5 maybe 6 scoops into the bag!  What the hell!  Small or large, I think he meant XL or XXL, because if you lived on those portion sizes that would be what you’d be wearing in a few months!
When I got home I weighed them and they were 2lb (900g) in weight, that’s 62pp according to esource for fried retail chips, that’s the equivalent of buying a 1kg bag of Aunt Bessies Homestyle Chips and cooking the lot for yourself!  You just wouldn’t dream of doing that – I hope not anyway!


According to Weight Watchers esource a regular portion is 165g (11pp) and a large is 210g (14pp).  I had my handful and threw the rest away, what a waste.  I suppose good value if you realise there’s 4 portions in a small bag and split them accordingly with the rest of the family!
Even if you’re not on a diet and you don’t follow Weight Watchers, the average woman (if there is such a thing) should maintain her weight on around 2000 calories, a man around 2,500, that bag of chips worked out at about 2,151 calories. 

Did you know the West Midlands is the FATTEST region in Europe!  Yep earlier this year studies showed that only 6 in a hundred people think they are obese and the actual figure, 1 in 4 people are.   I’m glad that I have so many members in my meetings because it’s proving that we aren’t ignoring the fact we have weight problems, we’re doing something about it and they’re doing mighty well – another two hit their targets and got to goal last night, that’s 41 so far this year to add to the 135 last year.  Yep this year my members have lost 1,900 stone WOW, that proves we can get a handle on these portion sizes.
I don’t know if portion sizes from takeaway outlets are so large in other parts of the country but serving people 2lb chips is ridiculous, the Chinese and Indian takeaways are similar, there’s usually enough food in a tray for two people.  Heck look at MacDonalds, their Big Tasty is 23pp, their breakfast wrap is 16pp (595 calories and sold as A pork sausage patty with a free range egg, tasty British bacon, potato rosti, cheese and ketchup or brown sauce - all wrapped in a soft tortilla.)  I wouldn’t mind but they don’t even fill you up!

It’s really difficult to change your ways and get out of eating large portions and these takeaway places sure don’t make it any easier do they!
Enjoy your day and downsize your plate today xx

No comments: