Disclaimer!

Disclaimer
Beverley has prepared the content of Bev's World irresponsibly and carelessly. She therefore disclaims all warranties, express or implied, as to the accuracy, originality or completeness of the drivel presented on this blog or on other linked websites or on any subsequent links. She vehemently denies that the information may be relied upon for any reason. Beverley shall not be liable for inflicting laughter, shame, disgust, torrents of tears and the eventual desiccation or crashing boredom on readers.

Find me on facebook. https://www.facebook.com/BeHappyOwls or search for Be Happy Owls

Tuesday 12 January 2016

How much did your dinner cost you yesterday?



12th January 2016
Start today, forget what's gone, appreciate what still remains and look forward to what's coming next.


So it appears my internet connection is going to be bad again today, it wasn't good yesterday, I couldn't ring out on my phone either, so who knows what's going on with the network!  Having said that my computer has been working a treat since the computer shop at Ashmore Park took a look at it, really pleased.

I worked most of yesterday, missed the chance to go for a walk with mom because I was waiting for a parcel man to collect a returns, but at least I got through quite a lot of work.  I did stop for my lunch and it was delicious, I had the leftover beef mince concoction from the day before in Taco shells, 10 Smart Points in total, the shells were 2sp each or 4 for 7sp, you guessed I had the four to save that points, making the most of my points!



It really is difficult to make time to do all those things you want to do or that you feel you ought to be doing to take care of yourself like going for a walk, fitting in that hour in the middle of a busy day, then when you get to the end of a busy work day and it's grim outside, the last thing you want to do is go out there and walk in the cold, dark, damp weather.  I'm sure that isn't just me, as I said last week, I'm not in this for the short term, I'm in it for the long term changes, it's not about the great big grand gestures.  I'm tweaking and fitting in what I can, changing what I can, finding a balance that suits me and yesterday a walk just wasn't happening!   It will today though, I'll find an hour to go with mom and Alfie no matter how busy I am, the only 'unless' will be if it's absolutely bucketing down with rain - I'm not walking in that, I don't care if I'm not made of sugar!

Yesterday I decided to make my charity for the year, the soup kitchen in Wolverhampton, I did Alzheimer's last year and we raised just shy of £3.5k (that was from June) and I think the awareness has been raised nationally for this charity now so lots of people are doing their bit.  I think I wanted something that's being overlooked and I find it heartbreaking that I'm working with people who eat too much (myself included) when there are so many out there who can't afford to eat! 

I'm asking people to donate their dinner (the cost of a least one meal, or the money they save by cutting out the junk, whatever they can afford.  We all overeat at some time, imagine not being able to afford to eat - I just can't!) Here's my fundraising page https://mydonate.bt.com/fundraisers/bevww and of course I'll have a tub in the meeting and a food bank collection on a continual basis.

Today's Smart Point recipe is good old Cottage Pie, but with a little twist using sweet potato and lots of veggies mmm, five a day in one meal!

Enjoy your day BeYOUtiful, make it Tracking Tuesday, why not share that tracker on Facebook use your hashtag #MyWWJourney so others can find it, tag me if you like.   Remember it's not what you do for one week that brings you success, it's what you do week in, week out for the rest of the year (your life even!)



Cottage Pie
Serves 4, 10sp each

500 g Potatoes, Old, Raw, peeled and cut into chunks (12sp)
500 g Sweet Potato, peeled and cut into chunks (16sp)
400 g Beef, Mince, Extra Lean, Raw (10sp)
1 small Onion, All Types, finely chopped
1 medium Carrots, Old, Raw, finely chopped
1 medium Courgette, finely chopped
100 g Beans, Green, chopped
1 teaspoons Mixed Herbs, Dried (as purchased)
50 g Sweetcorn, thawed if frozen (1sp)
4 teaspoons Gravy Powder / Granules, dry (2sp)
Salt & pepper

Cook the potatoes and sweet potatoes in a large saucepan of lightly salted boiling water until tender – about 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, heat a large saucepan and add the mince a handful at a time, frying over a high heat until browned. Stir in the onion, carrot, courgette, green beans and mixed herbs. Add 300ml (1/2 pint) water and bring up to the boil then simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes. Preheat the grill and warm a large baking dish under it for 1 - 2 minutes. Drain and mash the potatoes, seasoning with salt and pepper. Add the sweetcorn to the mince mixture then sprinkle in the gravy granules, stirring until thickened. Season if needed, then tip into the baking dish. Top with the mash then grill until browned. Serve immediately.


No comments: