Disclaimer!

Disclaimer
Beverley has prepared the content of Bev's World irresponsibly and carelessly. She therefore disclaims all warranties, express or implied, as to the accuracy, originality or completeness of the drivel presented on this blog or on other linked websites or on any subsequent links. She vehemently denies that the information may be relied upon for any reason. Beverley shall not be liable for inflicting laughter, shame, disgust, torrents of tears and the eventual desiccation or crashing boredom on readers.

Find me on facebook. https://www.facebook.com/BeHappyOwls or search for Be Happy Owls

Tuesday 8 April 2014

What would you change if you could?

8th April 2014
Sleep solves everything!

Well yesterday I got back on track (AGAIN!), mmm apparently it takes 21 days to break a habit, of course that’s not completely true, some say it’s 66 days, that’s not true either!  It can take an entire lifetime to break habits; it’s easier to replace them by making new habits.   There is research to back up the 21 days thing, for example it apparently takes a person 21 days to get used to their new home if they move, and it usually requires a minimum of about 21 days to effect any perceptible change in a mental image following plastic surgery.   The truth is the 21 days is a bit of a myth, to form a habit takes longer and best estimate is 66 days, but the real truth is everyone is different and it takes as long as it takes!

Changing any behaviour is damn difficult, especially if you’ve done it continuously for years, especially if it makes you feel better in some way but if you don’t keep trying then…

So about a month ago I decided to stop biting my nails, I’ve managed it so far, all except a nibble last weekend on my thumb, am I ‘cured’ of that habit, heck no, I’ve done it before and grown them long then reverted back to a nail biter for whatever reason.  A habit that ingrained can come creeping back at any time.

That’s why permanent weight loss is so difficult because we have so many habits to break / replace / change that the really ingrained ones probably never really go away they just get muted for a while.  How many of us have reverted to our “old eating” habits when something goes wrong in our lives?

So yesterday I decided to try the 21 days short term habit change, instead of committing to changing forever, I’ve just committed to changing for 21 days, then if that works I may try another 21 days, we shall see.  What habit am I going to work on?  Well which is my worst habit?  Drinking of course, so for 21 days I shall be abstaining from the lovely stuff that is alcohol!  WHY?  Because I heard myself speak these words last week, “If I didn’t drink I wouldn’t have a weight problem, I reckon I’d get back to my goal easily”. 

Mmm, is that true, let’s find out shall we, let’s see if it’s the red stuff that’s getting in my way!  I also read yesterday when looking up this 21 day thing that if you tell your mind you want to try something for 21 days it won’t be so unwilling to co-operate.  We all talk to ourselves, we have hundreds of internal conversations every day, so apparently if you decide to ‘start something or give something up’ you’d normally say “right that’s it I’m giving up forever”, your brain will immediately think “FOREVER, no glass of wine ever again” then it’ll do what mine started to do yesterday and start thinking of all the situations when a glass of red wine is devine; when I’m in a restaurant and it comes with a delicious meal or on a Friday afternoon when my working week is done, or in the bath on a Sunday night!  Yep my brain stopped thinking about all the benefits of giving up and started focusing on what it was going to lose out of, after all my brain can’t think about the benefits because it hasn’t yet had the benefits of giving up drinking but it knows the supposed pleasures that drinking brings.

This is why I’ve decided 21 days, it’s an experiment me and myself have agreed to see if it does make a difference, to see if I do feel any benefits from giving up for 21 days, to experiment – to find out if staying on track and losing weight is easier when alcohol is taken out of the equation.

Will it work?  I don’t know!  Am I happy to try?  I am now I know it’s only for 21 days and I get to rethink the decision in twenty more days – day one’s done :).  

I do know that I don’t want to continue having a good week and losing weight to then follow it with a not so good week and gain weight, I’m maintaining brilliantly at the wrong weight!
Yesterday I managed a completely on track Filling & Healthy day and ended it Full & Happy, it looked like this;


Is there something you’d like to change?  Could you stop or start a particularly habit for 21 days?  Why not join me in the challenge…

My plan for today is to Eat Gorgeous & BeYOUtiful, I’m focusing on the healthy & happy!

No comments: