Disclaimer!

Disclaimer
Beverley has prepared the content of Bev's World irresponsibly and carelessly. She therefore disclaims all warranties, express or implied, as to the accuracy, originality or completeness of the drivel presented on this blog or on other linked websites or on any subsequent links. She vehemently denies that the information may be relied upon for any reason. Beverley shall not be liable for inflicting laughter, shame, disgust, torrents of tears and the eventual desiccation or crashing boredom on readers.

Find me on facebook. https://www.facebook.com/BeHappyOwls or search for Be Happy Owls

Wednesday 25 April 2012

There's always something you can do to help...

25th April 2012
Joy is not in things; it is in us. Richard Wagner
I got out of bed in a great mood yesterday, wrote my blog then booted up my pc and logged into facebook to find out that one of my amazing members has cancer ;( my heart sunk, I was gutted.  At first I sat and cried then I thought what can I do to help?  Not much unfortunately, but I realised I'm already doing something, I’ve signed up to take part in Race for Life on Sunday 10th June at  Walsall Arboretum, so I will run for Kim, she is one of the happiest ladies I know and strongest too by her facebook post because she’s gonna fight this disease with all her strength.  So please either consider taking part and joining us on the day, or give me a donation in the meeting or sponsor me online http://www.raceforlifesponsorme.org/weight-watchers

If you’d like to take part and be in our team, here are the details
• Group name: Weight Watchers
• Group ID: BL3202
Just log in and sign up.

So yesterday started a bit sad but soon picked up because if Kim can be positive so can everyone around her.  I slept like a brick last night, not drinking always means I sleep better and yet I forget that is one good side effect, running probably helps too, I managed another 30 minutes yesterday, which again was easier having not had a glass of wine the night before.  Yes I’m all on track and focused, and I’m aiming for a pound a week.

Read an article yesterday on yahoo about Adeles weight loss and apparently the only thing she’s stopped doing is drinking because of her throat problems and if you’ve seen photos of her she’s lost a lot of weight, just shows how making one change can have such amazing results.  When you change one thing, it usually means you end up changing other things too wihout trying, so for example because I want to get better at running, I’ve cut down on the drink because I know I will run better and I’ll start eating better foods to help me too, which all adds up to helping my weight loss. I read an article last night called ‘drop a drink size’, apparently the government recommend 2 booze free days a week, if you’re struggling with that idea then you could shrink your glass, swap your 250ml glass for a 125ml and you’ll save 1.7 units of alcohol and 3 propoints!  Use a smaller glass, it works the same as a smaller plate!  You can even log it on an app called Mydrinkaware which tells you what the equivalent of your booze is in burgers! 

Did you know 2 x large glasses of white wine is 370 cals, 6.8 units! That’s the same as;
7 gin and slim line tonics (6.8 units, 318 cals)
9 MacDonalds Chicken McNuggets (375 cals)
2 ½ pints of lager (7 units, 600 cals)
1 ½ mars bars (363 cals)
3 x packets of walkers crisps (396 cals)
8 x jaffa cakes (368)

Interesting maths, I know we work in ProPoints (the wine was 12pp) but it gives you an idea. 

Isn’t the universe clever, as soon as I decided to cut out booze, articles started appearing everywhere about it, or was it just that I started noticing them!  There was another one from Davina McCall about beating addiction, I’m not addicted luckily, I just have a bad habit, but her tips for kicking unhealthy habits were still relevant, here they are;

Davina suggests;
Identify your limits – “I’m an all or nothing, but if you’re cutting down on alcohol, say, and can limit yourself to a couple of glasses a week, do that.  But if one leads to a bottle, you may have to go cold turkey.”

Swap ‘TRY’ for ‘WILL’ – ‘make a promise to yourself and make it long term – not for a month or two.  I still go to meetings to stay vigilant. Want a bikini body? Exercises isn’t just for summer, it’s for life!”

Avoid the triggers – “I’ve cut back on sugar, so I avoid meeting friends for a coffee anywhere I’ll be tempted by sugar-laden treats.  Tweak your lifestyle to avoid unnecessary temptation.“

Yes you can definitely take ideas from her suggestions, you don’t have to be an addict to make those ideas work for whatever your habit is, whether it be cakes, crisps or lager!

I’m enjoying being able to have larger meals because I’m not drinking I have to admit and I haven’t really noticed not having a drink the last couple of nights, and last night I smiled when I realised I could murder a cuppa tea!  Speaking of which I’m off to make one now.

Enjoy your day, ignore the rain and smile knowing the sunshine is still behind those clouds. x

No comments: