Disclaimer!

Disclaimer
Beverley has prepared the content of Bev's World irresponsibly and carelessly. She therefore disclaims all warranties, express or implied, as to the accuracy, originality or completeness of the drivel presented on this blog or on other linked websites or on any subsequent links. She vehemently denies that the information may be relied upon for any reason. Beverley shall not be liable for inflicting laughter, shame, disgust, torrents of tears and the eventual desiccation or crashing boredom on readers.

Find me on facebook. https://www.facebook.com/BeHappyOwls or search for Be Happy Owls

Tuesday 13 March 2012

Sort your rocks out!

13th March 2012

“Life is very interesting…in the end, some of your greatest pains become your greatest strengths.” Drew Barrymore

I had a very lazy day yesterday, after my 150 mile drive home and the fact I’d had a very late night Sunday, I spent the rest of the day chatting with mom and then went to bed super early.  No I’m all refreshed.

Over the weekend the subject of NLP came up a few times and I just happened to have an audiobook on my ipod about it, so I listened to that on the way home and although my mind kept drifting away to the weekend I’d just had and a couple of other important people in my life, I did manage to soak up some of the information.

One of the things it covered was putting yourself in the other person’s position and asking yourself how’d you behave / think / react if you were them.  I think I try to do that anyway, it’s not always easy, especially when you’re angry but it’s better than trying to find the answer in a tray of doughnuts.  

Seeing both sides and asking yourself how other people think is a great way of making friendships and relationships work better, because people don’t see the same situation in the same way, we all have different perspectives.  This is one reason I love people so much because I like to hear those different views.

I also heard started reading a book yesterday which started with this story, you may have heard before;

A Tibetan Lama was speaking to a group of monks and to make a point, pulled out a large jar, set it on the table in front of him, produced fist-sized rocks, and placed them, one by one, into the jar.

When no more rocks would fit inside, he asked: “Is this jar full?” Everyone said: “Yes.  He reached under the table and pulled out a bucket of gravel, dumped some in and shook the jar, the gravel worked between the rocks.  Again, he asked: “Is this jar full?”  The monks were catching on. “probably not” one answered.

“Good!” he replied and reached under the table and brought out a bucket of sand.  He dumped the sand into the jar until it filled all the crevices.  Once more he asked: “Is this jar full?”

“No!” the monks shouted. “Good!” he said and grabbed a pitcher of water and poured it until the jar was filled to the brim.  Then he asked, “what is the point of this illustration?”  One young monk responded, “the point is, no matter how full your day, you can always fit some more things in”.

“No,” the speaker replied, “the point is that if you don’t put the big rocks in first, you’ll never get them in at all.  What are the priorities in your life?”

So this morning I will leave you with that thought, what are the priorities in your life?  What are your big rocks and are you putting them in your jar first!

I’ve found since I make time for the big rocks (the things in my life that matter to me), my life flows much better.

Have a fabulous day. x




No comments: