Disclaimer!

Disclaimer
Beverley has prepared the content of Bev's World irresponsibly and carelessly. She therefore disclaims all warranties, express or implied, as to the accuracy, originality or completeness of the drivel presented on this blog or on other linked websites or on any subsequent links. She vehemently denies that the information may be relied upon for any reason. Beverley shall not be liable for inflicting laughter, shame, disgust, torrents of tears and the eventual desiccation or crashing boredom on readers.

Find me on facebook. https://www.facebook.com/BeHappyOwls or search for Be Happy Owls

Thursday 29 March 2012

NO, I don't!

29th March 2012

Magic is believing in yourself, if you can do that, you can make anything happen. Foka Gomez

Well I’ve kept saying I can wait to run in the summer it’ll be fab, erm what I forgot was it’ll be hard work, went out yesterday at noon, yeah stupid I know but he only time I could fit it in and did 5k which was hard work, it took me 2.5minutes longer than on Monday.  It’s like starting all over again, but it’s worth it for the activity ProPoints I earned 6pp for 35 minutes and then I earned another 10 throughout the day using my pedometer, it all helps to keep me fit and healthy and my weight under control.

I’ve downloaded a kindle reader onto my phone so when I walk Alfie in the morning and there’s nothing much to look at I can read, I’m loving it, on Chapter 8 of my first book, it’s called The Art Extreme Self-Care and it’s very interesting.  I’ve always said taking care of yourself isn’t selfish – it’s self care and the author backs this up. 

She’s giving me a lot to think about and I always like that in a book, it talks about the best use of your time and how we do lots of things and rather than being more organised and time efficient we should actually be doing less if we feel so overwhelmed.  She also covers the power of saying ‘no’ more often, especially to things you’re asked to do that you don’t want to do.  And a good way to decide whether to decline an invite is to ask yourself: "On a scale from 1 to 10, how much do I really want to do this?" The closer your answer is to a 10, the more you should consider saying yes. If you're still not sure, ask yourself this: "If I knew this person wouldn't be angry, disappointed, or upset, would I say no?"  I bet a lot of people would say ‘No’ more often if they knew the outcome would not be negative or cause pain. 

It’s not just invitations we say yes to when we don’t want to go is it, lots of people eat something because they don’t want to upset someone, how silly is that when you think about it.  Your heart may be in the right place because you’re keeping that person happy but is it necessary, is there another way of making that person feel good?

Saying yes to make someone else smile if it’s not making you smile too isn’t really very sensible when you think about it.  And I bet most of the time you saying yes won’t have the impact on that person you think it will, they probably wouldn’t be devastated if you said no, they’d just ask someone else.

So how do you say no to food?!?!?!?!?!?!?

It’s not always saying no just not to offend, sometimes it’s resisting temptation that’s the tricky bit!

Could Two Words Help You Resist Temptation?



Apparently yes!  When you refuse food if you say 'I don't' you can increase your feelings of control, study suggests.

When it comes to weight loss, the words you choose when refusing something tasty can make the difference in whether you are able to resist temptation, new research suggests.

So when you’re offered a bit of chocolate egg this Easter responding with the words "I don't" increases the likelihood you will stick to your weight loss plan, rather than saying "I can't."

This idea is based on the notion that saying 'I can't' to temptation inherently signals deprivation and loss from giving up something desirable, whereas if you said "I don't" it shows a sense of determination and empowerment.

The study revealed the 'I don't' strategy boosted people's feelings of autonomy, control and self-awareness. This strategy also created a positive change in their long-term behaviour, such as renewed dedication to weight loss.

"What's great about this research is that it suggests a strategy that is simple, straightforward and easy to implement. And most importantly...it works, says the authors.  I’d have to agree as when I talk about chocolate I always say, “I don’t like chocolate”, this isn’t strictly true as I do enjoy it when I eat it, but I’ve said that sentence that often I’ve convinced even myself that I don’t eat the stuff. 

Here’s to a day of saying “No” and “I don’t” in a positive way.






No comments: