Disclaimer!

Disclaimer
Beverley has prepared the content of Bev's World irresponsibly and carelessly. She therefore disclaims all warranties, express or implied, as to the accuracy, originality or completeness of the drivel presented on this blog or on other linked websites or on any subsequent links. She vehemently denies that the information may be relied upon for any reason. Beverley shall not be liable for inflicting laughter, shame, disgust, torrents of tears and the eventual desiccation or crashing boredom on readers.

Find me on facebook. https://www.facebook.com/BeHappyOwls or search for Be Happy Owls

Friday 19 August 2011

Non-scale victories...

19th August 2011

“The big, big thing I’ve discovered, the big secret, is that it’s all about how happy you are. People forget your flaws and imperfections if they see you’re happy.” Sienna Miller

It’s ten to six in the morning, I’ve slept like a log and I’m sat drinking a cup of tea before me and Alfie go out and the sky looks gorgeous and rosy, this is my ideal start to the day, the added bonus is I know I haven’t got to rush this morning because I don’t have to be anywhere till 12.  I’ve still got lots to do but nothing hopefully I should have enough time to do it in.

I’ll finish my blog when we get back, Alfie’s ready to go and my tea is drunk, I think he can tell by the noise of the cup when it’s empty because he comes and stares at me.




I’m back and feel fab; I’ve just covered 5 miles in the last hour and 40 minutes!  My pedometer already has 11,116 steps on it and 2pp earned ;D, me and Alfie did some together then I went out again on my own.

If you stayed to my meeting this week you know we discussed ‘non scale victories’, they are those things that prove to you how well you’re doing even when the scales don’t cheer, you know the kind of thing dropping a dress size, receiving a compliment, running up the stairs and still being able to talk at the top, being about to bend down and tie your shoe laces anything that proves to you that you’re doing fabulously without having to look at the numbers on the scales.

Well my ‘non scale victory’ at the moment is my 9 week C25k challenge which for those that don’t know is The Couch to 5k in 9 weeks running program and I’ve just completed week two and I’m a bit pleased with myself even though I’m still not convinced I can get to the end of it.  Having said that, I’ve just made a promise to myself if I do manage to make it through to the end of the 9 weeks and I manage to run 5k without injuring my joints or body then I will continue to run 5k three times a week to keep fit. 

I kept it secret at first, but I’m rubbish at keeping my business to myself – I’m way to open for that, the reason I kept it secret from everyone was because I was starting something that I wasn’t sure I’d be able to do.   However after being inspired by a friend who already does it and a member who told me she’d gone from not being able to run 30 seconds to running 10 mile and in September she plans to do the Great North Run, I toyed with the idea of giving it a go myself.  It’s something I used to do 25-30 years ago at school and I didn’t like it, I did it because I was made to and I quite good at it back then, but never quite GOOD ENOUGH to win the final and I think that was why I’ve not done it since, I didn’t like the competition side of it, having to go through the heats to get to the final, I’m not a competitive person, the only person I compete against is myself, so I never enjoyed running back then.  I do like the being outside in the fresh air though and I love spending time on my own, giving my head time to sort my thoughts and clear itself out,  so I thought I would give it a go but keep it to myself so I could always back out.   So I downloaded a 9 week training app onto my phone and I’m now running for a minute and a half with walking inbetween and I can’t believe I’m saying this but I’m enjoying it in a weird proud kind of way because I didn’t think I could do it, and it’s making me feel great after I’ve finished.  I might not feel so great when I’m actually doing it but who knows maybe in time I will.  So whatever the scales say for the next few weeks, my non scale victory is risking failure by starting to run.  And I like it because it only takes 30 minutes, so it’s great because I’m so busy and I already get up at stupid o’clock.  What are you thinking?  If it’s mmm I wonder if I could do that, give it a go, the NHS have a free podcast, I paid about £2 for mine as I wanted to play my own music. 

It’s a glorious day out there, hopefully you’ll get to go outside and enjoy some of it.  I’ve got a packed weekend planned, girl’s night tonight, Spa day tomorrow (so you may not get a blog) and Drayton Manor Park on Sunday; I’ll be shattered by Monday again ;)  Whatever you’ve got planned, enjoy yourself. xx






No comments: