Disclaimer!

Disclaimer
Beverley has prepared the content of Bev's World irresponsibly and carelessly. She therefore disclaims all warranties, express or implied, as to the accuracy, originality or completeness of the drivel presented on this blog or on other linked websites or on any subsequent links. She vehemently denies that the information may be relied upon for any reason. Beverley shall not be liable for inflicting laughter, shame, disgust, torrents of tears and the eventual desiccation or crashing boredom on readers.

Find me on facebook. https://www.facebook.com/BeHappyOwls or search for Be Happy Owls

Tuesday 6 December 2016

Who knew, I now like kidney beans!



6th December 2016
Someone once told me not to bite off more than I could chew - I'd rather choke on greatness than nibble on mediocrity.
Well who knew, I do like Turkey & sweet potato chilli, the kidney beans didn't put me off at all, it was a surprisingly delicious meal that I honestly thought I would end up giving away.  Also for 4sp it's a mid-day meal I'd have to keep my points low ready for something higher for dinner.  Yeah I will most certainly be making that again, it was a winner.  Page 54 of the Weight Watchers One Pot cook book if you want to make it, it's got to be the best book of 2016.  I loved the addition of the sweet potato and would be tempted to add extra and up the points to make a larger meal.  I'm so glad I did the Facebook live cooking demo because I don't think I'd have cooked it at all, I'd have changed my mind yesterday morning when I got up and done something else, but knowing I'd committed to do the demo, I had to.

Committing to doing something really does help you to carry it out, that's why the meetings work because they're your regular drop in session to discuss those commitments you've made.  I know we're not all doing great now it's getting closer to Christmas but imagine the damage we could be doing if we just thought sod it completely!  Dangerous.  The most dangerous sentence you can say right now is "I think I'll start again after Christmas", NOooooooo that's all I'm saying there, staying with it now, even if not 100% is better than giving up for at least a month, oh imagine the damage that could be done!

Moms just woke up, poor loves been coughing most of the night, I'm just gonna make her a cuppa, back in a bit...

I'm back, just had a sneaky peak in my fridge to see what food I've got to eat, I have some leftover cooked chicken, mmm what can I do with that, I'm thinking a simple club sandwich, I have the bacon too, that's one meal sorted today, it may be breakfast if I have time, and then I can have chilli for lunch, now what shall I have for tea? Jacket spud maybe, with tuna mayo or I might adapt a recipe for Nasi Goreng (Indonesian-style Fried Rice) that I've just found on pinterest.  If I do that for lunch the chilli could be my tea.  Options I like it and that's today sorted, wasn't difficult was it.  I need to start a meal list so I have a list to look through for ideas when I'm meal planning.

 

Here's my tweaked idea for it;

 

Nasi Goreng (Indonesian-style Fried Rice)

2 cups uncooked Basmati Rice (or if you have some left-over Rice about 3-4 cups)  I'll use a packet of microwave brown rice (10sp)
1 teaspoon ground Turmeric
1 teaspoon Salt
3 Tablespoons Oil (13sp! Ouch) - I'll use spray oil to save points, I may use 1tbsp for 4sp
3 Garlic cloves, crushed

1-2 fresh red Chilies, seeds removed and thinly sliced (adjust to desired heat level) (I won't use these at all)
1-inch fresh Ginger root, peeled and grated or finely chopped
1 bunch spring onions, thinly and diagonally sliced
1 1/2 - 2 cups cooked Chicken, shredded or chopped thinly (3sp)
3 Tablespoons Kecap Manis or 3 Tablespoons Soy Sauce (2sp) mixed with 1 Tablespoon sweet freedom syrup (2sp) (or to taste)
Chopped fresh Cilantro (or Coriander), for garnish

*Note: If using left-over rice, proceed to the cooking /stir-frying instructions (2nd paragraph below).

Rinse the rice twice and drain well. Place in a saucepan or rice cooker. Stir in the ground Turmeric and salt. Add about 3 cups of water. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer until the rice is cooked and quite dry. Let it sit for a few minutes. You can make this a day ahead or simply use left-over rice. Once it has cooled down, refrigerate until ready for use. If you are cooking it the same day, transfer the cooked rice (after it has been allowed to sit for 10-12 minutes) to a flat baking tray. Allow to cool completely and fluff with a fork to separate the grains. Leave it for at least 1 hour or chill in the fridge until it has turned cold (like a left-over rice).

Heat a large wok or deep frying pan to medium, spray with cooking spray. Let the garlic sizzle for a few seconds until aromatic. Lower the heat to the lowest setting then add the ginger, chillies, and  half the scallions. Stir-fry for a couple of minutes until softened. Pour in the remaining oil, increase the heat and add the shredded chicken. Cook until the chicken is fully heated through.

Add the rice in batches, stirring each batch carefully until fully blended with the other ingredients. When the rice is heated through, pour in the soy sauce mixture or kecap manis. Stir well so as to distribute the sauce evenly. Adjust the seasoning to taste.

Transfer to a serving plate and garnish with chopped cilantro and the remaining green onions (scallions). This is traditionally served with some fried eggs, just like in the Philippines! :)

 

The original recipe can be found on http://www.manilaspoon.com/2014/04/nasi-goreng-indonesian-style-fried-rice.html

 

Yeah I do like the sound of that, haven't had rice for a few weeks either so that's lunch sorted for sure, the only ingredient I haven't got is coriander, hopefully the co-op across the road will have some.

Right I'm off, things to do, places to be, boxes to wrap.  I might have to make a mid-week drive to the hostel to make room in my house, just waiting to hear when my brother can get back to the UK, he's stuck on a Greek island, their ferries are on strike at least until today, we're hoping they can get back soon.

I'm announcing today "Tracking Tuesday", track it before you eat it, I haven't been doing that this week, so I'm committing to doing it today because I usually do it when I make a commitment apparently :).  How about you BeYOUtiful, you going to make that commitment with me?





No comments: