Disclaimer!

Disclaimer
Beverley has prepared the content of Bev's World irresponsibly and carelessly. She therefore disclaims all warranties, express or implied, as to the accuracy, originality or completeness of the drivel presented on this blog or on other linked websites or on any subsequent links. She vehemently denies that the information may be relied upon for any reason. Beverley shall not be liable for inflicting laughter, shame, disgust, torrents of tears and the eventual desiccation or crashing boredom on readers.

Find me on facebook. https://www.facebook.com/BeHappyOwls or search for Be Happy Owls

Thursday 22 September 2011

Curried cauli works!

22nd September 2011
Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off the goal.
Well I’ve been up since 4.30am and messed about for the the last hour, so better get a wriggle on.  I had a delicious curry for my tea last night and brilliant value for 7 ProPoints, I used a jar of curry sauce (easier & quicker), if you want to make it choose one you like, I went for Rogan Josh, I steamed those small charlotte potatoes (chop in half), and steamed cauliflower but left it quite crunchy, cooked some chicken breast in the curry sauce and at the end missed it all together and three in some spinach leaves.  Very tasty it was too, to be honest it could’ve done without the chicken and would have still been delicious and vegetarian too, lower in pp as well.

I did have a blip yesterday afternoon though, for lunch I had a Sainsbury’s lemon meringue doughnut and McCoys crisps, I’ve been fancying them for a while so wanted to get them out of my system and I have to admit, the crisps are overrated and at 7pp the same amount as my curry – NOT worth it.  the best bit about the doughnut was the lemon curd inside so next time I’m going to get some lemon curds and crumpets and enjoy them instead.  I have to admit not only didn’t they taste that great but I felt so sluggish and tired all afternoon after eating them it really wasn’t worth it!
Last night in the meeting we found out that crumpets are filling & healthy so everyone’s now keen to get some, I’m envisaging a shortage in the local stores :D
I’m seriously considering do a simply filling week but I can’t start it this weekend because I’m out so much, and even though it would be doable, it’s not appealing.  I want to sit down and think about it first and plan some ideas; my members are helping come up with lots of ideas in my meetings so I’m storing it all ready for use.
I think sometimes we forget more than we can remember and that’s why it’s really useful to backtrack sometimes or go back to basics, I’m using the Weight Watchers esource a lot at the moment and I’ve just been looking back at week 1 & 2 of the plan info they provide, I’ve also just found a delicious recipe for the gammon I have in the freezer, might make it next week.
Gammon steaks with sweet and sour apricots
ProPoints® Value: 4, Servings: 4, Preparation Time: 5 min, Cooking Time: 15 min, Level of Difficulty: Easy

Gammon or ham steaks are now sold very lean with a thin layer of fat on top which can easily be removed. A quick relish with apricots is the perfect accompaniment.

400 g Gammon Steak, Raw, (4 x 100g steaks)
1 spray(s) Cooking Spray, Calorie Controlled
200 g (as purchased) Apricots, in Juice, Drained, halves, drained and chopped, reserving 2 tbsp juice
1 tablespoons Vinegar, White Wine
1 tablespoons Sugar, Light Brown
1/2 teaspoons Cinnamon, ground
1 small Onions, Pickled, Drained, sliced
1 teaspoons (ground) Pepper, Black (Whole, Cracked or Ground)
·           Make small cuts into the edges of the steaks so that they will stay flat during cooking.
·           Heat a large non-stick frying-pan and spray with low-fat cooking spray. Add the steaks and cook for 5 minutes on each side. Remove and keep warm.
·           Put the chopped apricots, vinegar, sugar, cinnamon and onion into the pan along with the two reserved spoons of juice. Season with pepper. Bring to a boil and simmer for about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Spoon on to the warmed gammon/ham steaks and serve hot.

Right I better get moving - if you’re feeling a bit stuck in a rut diet wise, get your books out and have a refresher.
Enjoy your day.


No comments: