Disclaimer!

Disclaimer
Beverley has prepared the content of Bev's World irresponsibly and carelessly. She therefore disclaims all warranties, express or implied, as to the accuracy, originality or completeness of the drivel presented on this blog or on other linked websites or on any subsequent links. She vehemently denies that the information may be relied upon for any reason. Beverley shall not be liable for inflicting laughter, shame, disgust, torrents of tears and the eventual desiccation or crashing boredom on readers.

Find me on facebook. https://www.facebook.com/BeHappyOwls or search for Be Happy Owls

Monday 17 August 2015

Don't do food shaming!



17th August 2015
Someone once told me not to bite off more than I could chew.  I said I'd rather choke on greatness than nibble on mediocrity.

We had a lovely day yesterday, a few hours in the garden, then managed to talk mom into a drive out, with the promise of a coffee but that she wouldn't have to get out of the car to have it!  So that's what we did, now you can get Costa coffee from garages it's easy.  We did eventually stop on the way home at Tettenhall and had a walk round the fields with Alfie, it was a lovely afternoon and great to spend some time with my mom.

I had a 99 off the ice cream man whilst we were out and called it my lunch, then for our tea we had heck sausages, mash and peas - I'm over those sausages now, I've got it out of my system.  Which is a good thing because they're £2.99 reduced to £2.50 at the moment, they're not a cheap option are they.

I'm all about the cheap this week, it's the weak before pay day, so shall be using what's in the kitchen and keeping the purse closed for everything but some petrol. 

Frozen and tinned veggies will do, they're just as good nutritionally, I have plenty of tinned stuff I can use too and some packet things.  None of it is "diet" food but that'll just prove you don't have to buy special food to lose weight you just need to stick to your allowance and watch those portion sizes.

I've got courgettes again, that have been given to me by a member, I need to use them for something.  I was thinking layering them with potatoes, and a bit of stock maybe, then top with cheese.  Or I like the look of these;

Courgette Fritters
Makes 4, 3pp each Prep time 15 mins, plus salting, Cooking time 5 mins, Total time 20 mins, Skill level Easy
450g (1lb) small to medium courgettes
2 tsp salt
1 heaped tbsp plain flour 2pp
1 egg, beaten 2pp
3 spring onions, trimmed and finely sliced
1 lemon, zest finely grated
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
1 tbsp thyme, mint or chives or finely chopped
1 tbsp Parmesan cheese, finely grated 2pp
Vegetable oil for frying (2 tbsp = 8pp)
Coarsely grate the courgettes and place in a colander with the salt. Place the colander over a bowl and leave to drain for about an hour. This step is important to remove the excess moisture from the courgettes so they are not watery.

After an hour place the courgettes in the centre of a clean towel and wring out as much excess water as possible, the courgettes should be quite dry. Sift the flour into a bowl and whisk in the egg until smooth. Add the courgettes, remaining ingredients and mix well.

Heat a large frying pan with a couple of tablespoons (8pp) of oil. When the oil is hot take a heaped tablespoon of the mixture and drop it into the pan, flattening it out slightly with the back of the spoon. Leave to cook for a couple of minutes until the fritter is brown on the bottom then flip over and cook for another couple of minutes. Place the fritters on a plate lined with kitchen paper to drain off any excess oil then serve.
----

Oh so I didn't want to tell you but I've gained a pound.  Why didn't I want to own up?  Because here I am saying "come on everybody silver 7 for September #WWS7Sept" and I've gained a pound!  Great role model me!  Then a member just posted in my group that she was 'ashamed' of her behaviour and I responded and instantly I realised I was happy to share.  I'm 45 for goodness sake, I've been playing this game since I was 18!  I used to lose it drastically then regain it, now I maintain quite well, it's the wrong weight but it's being maintained and I'm healthier in my food than I ever was back then, so I'm giving myself a break.  As I said in my response, how is feeling 'ashamed' going to help, it'll just make you feel bad.  And as I continued to say, It's called life isn't it, I had a ice cream for the van yesterday, he automatically put a flake in - I ate it!  Who wasn't going to.  I don't get out very often with my mom, we're making memories together, I'll take the repercussions of that behaviour.  I'm about the healthy & happy, not the 'skinny'  I'm not willing to put my life on pause or punish myself or try drastic ways to lose. 

I eat really well, and I know I just need to tweak it slightly to get those weight losses, I don't have to starve myself, I just need to cut down a little and plan in those indulgences, yesterday wasn't planned, I never eat ice cream, but I'd been reading a book on the morning the girl sold ice cream, then when we parked up there was the van and I couldn't resist, actually I could, I didn't want to - there's a big difference. 

And if I'm being completely honest, it probably wasn't the ice cream that did it, it was more likely to be the two warby thins I mindlessly ate before going to bed last night - I know I can't resist them, I shouldn't have bought them, they were on offer in the shop - will that lesson ever get learned, my inner poor bitch came out, I put my hand up!  I really do need to learn that lesson.

But I won't be beating myself up over any of it, as someone said to me not too long ago, if I didn't have this love of food, if I wasn't a sucker for a food bargain, if I didn't like a drink, I wouldn't be the person I am, and we can't be having that can we, I like being me - I'm BeYOUtiful and so are you.   Happy Monday, give yourself a break. xx

No comments: