Disclaimer!

Disclaimer
Beverley has prepared the content of Bev's World irresponsibly and carelessly. She therefore disclaims all warranties, express or implied, as to the accuracy, originality or completeness of the drivel presented on this blog or on other linked websites or on any subsequent links. She vehemently denies that the information may be relied upon for any reason. Beverley shall not be liable for inflicting laughter, shame, disgust, torrents of tears and the eventual desiccation or crashing boredom on readers.

Find me on facebook. https://www.facebook.com/BeHappyOwls or search for Be Happy Owls

Sunday 2 February 2014

Today I'll be getting Brownie points from my Bestie!



Sunday 2nd February 2014
Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon.  ~Doug Larson

I’ve just woke up, had a good ten hours and didn’t want to wake as I was lost in a cake factory looking for a doughnut!  What the hell was that all about, probably something to do with the fact I spent the afternoon baking yesterday and also watched a programme on fat v sugar the day before where there were doughnuts being given away for free and I kept saying to the tv “I wouldn’t have chosen that one!” like it could hear my comments!

Ok let’s talk baking, a very dangerous pastime to get interested in I think, I need to be careful, luckily I’m not a fan of cake so I could easily make a cake and give it away, however I do like the mixture in the bowl – too much!  And my weakness if I was to have one in cake form is the humble chocolate brownie, oh my days now they are so rich yet have a little bit of bitterness to them, like the red wine of cake they are for me anyways.  I also like a jam doughnut too but I won’t be attempting to make those!  My attempt to make my bestie a chocolate fudge cake for her birthday wasn’t the best, it was slightly burnt on the edge which is why it’s now a square cake, and when I was applying the chocolate fudge icing I felt more like a brick layer than a master baker (no smut necessary!) I did however have lots of fun making it and enjoyed my afternoon, so hopefully it’ll taste fine despite it’s appearance.  

My brownies however were a complete success and they look so pretty, complete with fairy dust!  The beauty of a brownie is you only need a small piece to get a really good fix, whereas with a cake you usually have a slice and if it’s a sponge cake or a chocolate fudge cake like I made yesterday, even if you cut that cake in 12 it’s working out at 15pp a slice easily!  So I’m going to share the recipe I used with you only on the condition you’re sensible with it because at 7pp a piece, it’s high, you could obviously cut the pieces smaller and keep them in an air tight tin, share them around too of course.   The cost to make them using the highest quality ingredients was £8, which works out at 40p each, you could cut that cost by buying cheaper products such as own branded cocoa powder and own chocolate, be interesting to see if it did make a difference.  You could try halving the ingredients and use a smaller tray to make less meaning less temptation around!  It’s a Jamie Oliver recipe, I’ve removed the cherries and nuts though, that’s deviating from the pure brownie, here it is;


Bloomin' brilliant brownies (144pp) Serves 20, 7pp each!   Approx time: 40min  

250 g unsalted butter (53pp)
200 g good-quality dark chocolate (70% cocoa solids), broken up (29pp)
80 g cocoa powder, sifted (7pp)
65 g plain flour, sifted (6pp)
1 teaspoon baking powder
360 g caster sugar (39pp)
4 large free-range eggs (10pp)

Preheat your oven to 180°C/350°F/gas 4. Line a 25cm square baking tin with greaseproof paper. In a large bowl over some simmering water, melt the butter and the chocolate and mix until smooth. Add the cherries and nuts, if you're using them, and stir together.

In a separate bowl, mix together the cocoa powder, flour, baking powder and sugar, then add this to the chocolate, cherry and nut mixture. Stir together well. Beat the eggs and mix in until you have a silky consistency.

Pour your brownie mix into the baking tray, and place in the oven for around 25 minutes. You don't want to overcook them so, unlike cakes; you don't want a skewer to come out all clean. The brownies should be slightly springy on the outside but still gooey in the middle.

Allow to cool in the tray, then carefully transfer to a large chopping board and cut into chunky squares.

I’ve got to be careful here that this new ‘hobby’ doesn’t become a problem; I always go into everything ‘full blast’ so I need to reign myself in and realise I can’t be making cake constantly! 
Well I have a roast beef dinner to cook today, it’s my besties birthday weekend and we’re being civilised with the family and having dinner and cake rather than being ladies that lunch and have lager – growing up ain’t we :)

However you’re spending Sunday, EatGorgeous and BeYOUtiful. xx

No comments: