Disclaimer!

Disclaimer
Beverley has prepared the content of Bev's World irresponsibly and carelessly. She therefore disclaims all warranties, express or implied, as to the accuracy, originality or completeness of the drivel presented on this blog or on other linked websites or on any subsequent links. She vehemently denies that the information may be relied upon for any reason. Beverley shall not be liable for inflicting laughter, shame, disgust, torrents of tears and the eventual desiccation or crashing boredom on readers.

Find me on facebook. https://www.facebook.com/BeHappyOwls or search for Be Happy Owls

Saturday 22 February 2014

All things battered & chipped!



22nd February 2014
An optimist is the human personification of spring. Susan J. Bissonette

What a beautiful sunrise this morning, I realised spring is almost here and when I looked it is, started March 20th, that’s less than a month, this crazy weather we’ve had this winter means I’ve still got pansy’s flowering up my garden that I planted last June, I might spend a bit of time out there this weekend tidying things up.  I’m a fair weather gardener, haven’t been out there since September!

I had so much to get done in my office yesterday, I decided against cooking and opted for chip shop lunch, then I decided to turn it into a bit of research for my members because of course I’m extremely dedicated to them all and I know they struggle with ProPointing all that is chipped and battered so this is what I purchased – purely for research purposes of course!

Regular chips
Saveloy
Battered roe
Battered mini fish
Scallop
Curry sauce

May I say first before I continue I didn’t eat anything with batter on it, as I don’t like it, not a fan of deep fat fried things I have to say, mom and the birds took are of it all though.


Moving on to the important information, I was really impressed that the portion size of the chips at my local chip shop has become more realistic, 28pp for the bag (it says 29 on scales but I didn’t eat the wrapper!), when that’s split between two it’s more than plenty.   The last time I bought a bag of chips on my way home from work (& I asked for a small portion!) the bag they gave me had 67pp in it! 



 I think the moral of the story here is be careful what you think is "a bag of chips" and put them on the scales when you get home!


This is what 28pp worth of chips looks like!


Moving on to the saveloy, an easy one as it was inputted into my scales, so that was 10pp;

Battered food mmm, not as bad as I expected if I’m honest, I reckon batter works out at roughly 4pp per 50g, now that sounds a lot and it is but it doesn’t weigh heavy so this scallop was 7pp;

this is the batter of the scallop! 

This cod roe is only 6pp
 
And my mini fish I reckon 8pp of which 6pp worth was probably the batter – you get more batter than fish!  I think you’d be better off having a large fish and sharing if you actually want fish.

Curry sauce mmm, now you’re talking, I bought the larger pot (for research obviously!) and I was really pleased to find out it would work out about 4pp using averages from other curry sauces you can buy in supermarkets.
 
Now I ended up having saveloy, chips and curry sauce which worked out at 28pp, my 49 weeklies would easily cover that and I left some of the chips as they were the small bits that are either burnt or really greasy.

I didn’t have to do the donor kebab because if you recall I covered that earlier in the month

http://wwbevsworld.blogspot.co.uk/2014/02/another-fancy-going-to-chippy-for-tea.html  however someone did say, “but what about a chicken kebab!”, so instead of buying one, I asked the chip shop man serving me to go take a photo of the labels, he did, they only had the ingredients though not the nutritional information.  Again you’ll be glad to hear the one in our Ashmore Park chip shop is 91% chicken thigh, spices and finally vegetable oil.  Based on that information and knowing they give people about 300g of meat, the pitta bread would be 7pp, sauces 4pp, I work out that a chicken kebab is going to set you back 30pp and NO they are not Filling & Healthy because they do not use breast meat and I doubt anywhere does unless it’s the kebabs on skewers from a proper Greek place.

Hope that helps because it cost me nearly £8 to work out ;-)

Right I’m off to have a shower and get dressed as I’m going for a walk on the chase this morning, you’re more than welcome to join me, I’ll be at Whitehouse Car Park, Cannock,WS12 4PR at 11am, only planning on doing an hour, although it’s glorious out there right now, I do have a massage booked and it’s my first in weeks, my body is in bits!

Have a great day whatever you’re planning to do, Eat Gorgeous, BeYOUtiful and go and check out Rachel from yesterday’s blog BEFORE photo on our area group this morning – WOWSERS!  What a transformation!







No comments: