Disclaimer!

Disclaimer
Beverley has prepared the content of Bev's World irresponsibly and carelessly. She therefore disclaims all warranties, express or implied, as to the accuracy, originality or completeness of the drivel presented on this blog or on other linked websites or on any subsequent links. She vehemently denies that the information may be relied upon for any reason. Beverley shall not be liable for inflicting laughter, shame, disgust, torrents of tears and the eventual desiccation or crashing boredom on readers.

Find me on facebook. https://www.facebook.com/BeHappyOwls or search for Be Happy Owls

Monday 20 September 2010

20th September 2010 - today's facebook email

I've failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed. Michael Jordan

Amanda completed her run, inspirational - well done, a very respectable 2hrs 30minutes. Alfie and me usually manage a mile in 30 minutes, so good going Amanda ;-)

So it was the end of week 1 yesterday of getting back to eating healthy, tracking everything I eat and following the plan, if I’m totally honest I feel much better in myself, I had more energy this weekend than I’ve had in a long time. I spent a few hours cooking in the kitchen, made a fish pie and even did the washing up! I did make the mistake of getting on the scales yesterday afternoon after staying off them all week and it looks like I may have gained weight, but we’ll know for sure this morning at my official weigh in. I have to say getting on those scales totally turned my mood, which proves it’s not a good idea to jump on scales in-between weigh-ins! If I have gained I’ll be gutted because I know I’ve stuck to the plan, however it won’t stop me carrying on because I do feel better, so the results will have to show next week if not this.

If I haven’t lost weight one of the reasons I can come up with is ‘painkillers’ and how they affect your body! You all often talk to me about toilet your problems! So instead of going into that, let’s talk about fibre ;-)

Did you know we need 20-24g fibre a day so start looking at food labels, get to know what’s in your food, check out the nutritional labels, look at the ingredients, I have been doing and there are some scary ingredients in those lists!

Did you know in just one tin of baked beans you’ve got half the amount of fibre you need in a day. 1 serving of plain instant porridge contains around 2.4g fibre and yes instant packet porridge is fine if that’s more convenient for you. In 3 tablespoons of peas you get 3 times as much fibre as you would do in a banana.

Water – it’s the water and fibre together that helps, so if you find you are having problems with constipation up your fluid intake! Also limit alcohol and caffeine as they can lead to dehydration, creating stools that are hard and more difficult to pass (is this too much info for a Monday morning!)

Exercise gets the adrenalin pumping round the body and that stimulates the gut. Also apparently magnesium can help loosen stools, so increase your intake of magnesium-rich foods, such as spinach, almonds, nuts, raisins, bran flakes and artichokes!

Did you know we get through £43,000,000 of laxatives each year in England alone! That’s a lot of problems!

Types of Fibre

There are two types of fibre - soluble and insoluble - and your body needs both to stay healthy. Fibre reduces the risk of bowel problems, some cancers and keeps your digestive system working well. Soluble fibre is also thought to lower blood cholesterol levels.

Pasta, rice, potatoes, bread, cereals, pulses, nuts, fruit and vegetables are all rich in fibre, so make them part of your daily intake.

Five Ways to Boost Your Fibre Intake:

1. Swap a slice of white bread for a slice of wholewheat bread
2. Eat a bowl of cereal for breakfast
3. Swap potatoes for a portion of brown rice at dinner time
4. Add lentils to a dish to make it more filling and richer in fibre
5. Eat five portions of fresh fruit and vegetables every day



Remember life starts now.

Are you living yet? Don’t forget to go to the toilet first ;-)

No comments: